What size steering wheel

Hi All....

I am looking to replace the steering wheel on my 1974 1300 Spitfire. The one on it is not original and is in poor condition. I am going to replace it with a leather steering wheel but they seem to come in a few different diameters and either dished or flat, I am not sure which one to go for.

The wheel on the car is a flat 13 inch wheel but I am wondering if a 14 inch wheel would be better and does it matter if it is dished or flat?

I would be interested to know what other people have fitted to their Spitfires.

Cheers....Derek

For leg clearance, if you're vertically advantaged like I am, then semi-dished is a help. Mine is a 13" semi-dished and gives about an inch more clearance above the thighs. I had a 14" flat (in fact I once had a 15" flat off an old Opel!) and couldn't even get into the car.

I have a flat-bottomed, 13" flat wheel. Some expensive Italian hobbies I picked up, works with the smaller type of boss. Very comfy, good clearance and not too heavy with spitfire rack (less turns lock to lock than gt6) and 185 tyres. Ok, takes a little effort if stationary, which is not a good idea anyway but sometimes needs must etc, but good when driving.

Aside from practicality which doesn't really apply (otherwise you'd have a modern car) then it's small steering wheels on a sporty/young man's motor and big on a bus/old man's motor isn't it? ? 

Or is that just my impression having read so many custom car mags while I was an impressionable youth. 

Wood wheels are often need to be bigger because they're so darn slippery. My leather one (flat 12") is getting a bit shiny but fine still even with the bigger engine over the wheels.

Seriously, how much maneuvering are you planning on doing? How twitchy do you want it at speed is the other question. 

Thanks for all of the replies guys. Taking note of some comments; I am the old man type (retired) and I am 6ft 3inches, so long legs and arms.

Putting all of this together, I am thinking of going for a flat 14inch steering wheel. Any manufacturer recommendations? I note I can get a 14inch on eBay for about £120, this includes the boss and horn switch etc but I am not sure what the brand is. A Moto-Lita, including the boss from Rimmer Bros is about £216. Am I better of spending the extra on the one from Rimmer Bros?

Cheers....Derek

I'm also 6' 3" and, like Mark, my flat 14" is a Mota-Lita wood rim wheel which at least one observer thinks is the best part of my car. I was a little concerned that a wooden wheel would transmit road vibrations and make the car tiring to drive but it's actually very comfortable to hold. For that reason I would recommend paying the extra rather than getting one of the cheaper versions.

Yes, the God's have punished me.

There was a squeaking from the wheel, nothing rubbing but I realized I may have put the spring loaded horn "thingy" back in upside down. So yesterday I prised the centre push out, but instead of the whole mechanism coming out, the top cover pinged off!  :o  It's attached to the lower part by 3 plastic legs with tiny gripping teeth washers. All looks a bit flimsy to me, one leg came clean off and two of the washers broke. I don't think it's repairable. New caps or complete mechanisms are fortunately available from Mota Lita at surprisingly cheap prices. Makes me think this must happen quite often.  :angry:

Doug

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

I put a springalex on the 2000 its well made and better price and a nice polished  alloy horn push  to match.

Pete

I have a Springalex on my Vitesse and very happy with it though would like a triumph logo to replace the springalex. Can these be purchased 

Paul

springalex with polished horn ,  the push button is held  together with screws  no pingy plastic stuff in ere

and its now got a TSSC motif badge on 

but i dont use it as horn is on a stalk ....shame  no ring  so cant see a conversion looming ...toot toot 

Pete

P1000248.JPG