My 6 cylinder rebuild for dummies (as in me!)

AidanT

Hi all  

Advice please!

Cam cover at the front of the engine I am working on seems t have been coated in some very thick "Stuff". This is peeling off due to age but still seems flexible. 

Looking for suggestions on what to use on this post it's strip down back to metal

Thanks

Aidan

Probably Zeibart or other underbody rust-proofer, it will peel off or come off with judicious use of petrol or the like. Tar-based so very messy.

Pick as much off as you can then either petrol soak the rest off or sandblast (if the cover is off the car?)

For repainting I find a good primer is the key, then you can pretty much use any kind of top coat (I think mine was VinylKote Gloss Black).

DSCF1162.jpg.c93936a8d9771556566bb38da0293a23.jpg

Thanks Colin - yes engine is on a stand. I am still at the start point of the refurb. Will be doing a compression test to see what I have first (this weekend) then start the strip down

Would PlastiDip be OK?  worried about the heat issue

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-USA-made-PlastiDip-Aerosols-Matte-Colours-Upgrade-to-24hr-delivery/332386642345?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=541398126060&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Aidan

They left the factory with a layer of "stuff" on the timing cover. Always assumed it was for noise deadening (but why?).

Never heard any harm from removing "stuff" then any paint you like.   I tend to Hammerite, although it ain't what it used to be.

and  it was sound deadening    thick sprayed on bitumen type of mix ..no grass or straw

was not just triumph many did similar cheap ideas to improve the noise levels 

add in the silly rubber hose connector on the choke cable  outer case  to help damp engine noise up to the dash

and the coil in the clutch pipe,    throttle cables rather than rod throttles  all to reduce clatter in the cabin

Pete

So time for a real basic dumb question as i am new to engine rebuilds. So thought it would be an idea to do a compression test, got the kit, took all the plugs out (bear in mind the engine is already stripped and on a stand) fitted my old starter, put the compression tester in number one and turned it over. 

NOTHING !

Am I being stupid?

Tried another cylinder no5 and that was the same. Took the rocker cover off and all valves are moving up and down. I can just about turn it over myself using the flywheel and tries no 1 with a squirt of oil. Made no difference.  

Let me know how stupid I'm being please!  ?

Aidan

Aidan,

have you just rebuilt the engine, or preparing to do so.

In the first case, check the valve timing.   And the box of piston rings.

In the second, Um.  Was it running before this?    In which case it must have compression, and your technique is the problem.    I presume there are no carbs etc on the head?  So 'wide open throttle' not a problem.  What type of guage?  Screw-in superior to press-in with a rubber tip.      Is it in a red box?  (See http://sideways-technologies.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/7901-question/&tab=comments#comment-103951)

Jhn

Hi John 

It's the second of your options. Just about to slowly and I do mean slowly take the engine apart. I don't know anything about the history of the engine other than it came from a second hand supplier in the south west who has an excellent reputation

The compression tester is a Bergen so not high quality. 

Just wondering if I should go back to the supplier as I'm sure he wants to keep his reputation 

!Aidan 

Oh and it threads into the plug !

Aidan,

Can you test the compression tester on another car? You should get something even with an embarrassing ring cock up. Do you have any tappet clearance? The valves could be permanently open? Do you have the right head gasket? 

Doug

Doug Heads not off yet, but you make a good point I can test on current engine.  - When the engine turns over what would you expect in terms of a quick puff or a gush of air? Only ask as I would describe the air being blown out as a puff. Never done this before so completely ignorant!

Aidan

Yes, a puff, You can stick your thumb over it, it shouldn't suck your finger down the bore or blow it off, but use your other hand just to be safe :lol:  However, if your sensing any sort of a puff, that should register something on the tester.

The tester sort of ratchets up, you need maybe 6 rotations of the crank. The tester normally has a pressure release button once you've finished. Could that be defective?

Doug

• Thanks 1

So minimal pressure reading now on number 1. About 20 psi. Battery on recharge now ? but will check the others. On this basis though what are your thoughts on the engine condition or am I asking too much from one rest and should take the head off?

Aidan 

Aidan, 

You're wasting time doing compressions on an engine that you are bout to rebuild anyway.   What will.you learn?   Apart from, how to do a compression?

Once you're in there, more useful measurements to be made, to inform.your decisions about the rebuild better.   Bore wear, state of valves and seats, which the comp. Only let's you guess at. 

Get on with it! Meanwhile try the gauge on your modern, if it doesn't give a real world reading, the gauge is a red box one!

John

8 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Get on with it!

Bit harsh! But that's John :lol: What were you hoping to learn from the test? were you thinking a rebuild might not be necessary? Test the tester on something else. Get the battery charged up do it all again, put oil in, does it improve things? Update us. 

Doug

Will do. I guess my hesitation is due to being a first timer on this and the possibility that there's something major wrong and I'm starting off with a pup

Once my battery has recovered I will try the compression tester on my current engine. It will be good to know it's condition anyway

Someone is probably thinking why I'm doing this, well I currently have a 2000 saloon engine in the car so want to get it back to something closer to the original but understood the mk1 engine would be a retrograde step plus just to learn. 

Aidan 

Aidan,

I new nothing about cars when my first mini engine broke. I bought a manual and dived. In many ways lack of knowledge is good, you just get on with it and aren't daunted by things that you later might be. Gearbox? I wouldn't attempt it now, but then, how difficult can it be?  Read, follow the manuals and ask for advise. 

Doug

Hi Doug 

I never got as far as rebuilding but I know what you mean. Once fitted a cooper engine into an 850 mini. With hindsight probably not the best idea but seemed brilliant at the time

Your probably right and I should just bite the bullet and dig in. I have the tools now and the money I hope to replace whatever I find that's knackered 

More questions will follow no doubt

Aidan