Good old trusty Triumphs

daverclasper

Thanks  Pete. I need to be very wary of tasks escalating into other jobs so will hold the thought on taking the valve apart and just rig it to stay open for now whilst I finish the flushing. 

The next challenge I could do with some advice on is as follows.... I can't seem to get the radiator tap open anymore. The steel "key" no longer bites on the brass tap shaft. Think it's finally rounded it off? So i want to get the whole thing out to replace. Another awkward spot to work. Can't really see what size spanner the drain tap needs though. I'm somewhere around 14mm, 1/2", 9/16" or even 1/4w. Don't want to round off what's left of the flats (if there are any) and non of the above give me confidence to apply any force. Any suggestions? Would it be easier to bite the bullet and take the radiator out?

Thanks

Richard

my spare tap  is 9/16af 

rad out is most likely  if the tap is tight you can rip the soldered collar off the bottom tank , apply some gentle heat may help, not too much or the tanks solder will melt

getting the rad out of a Vitesse  is a cunning dark art requires the engine turning to extricate the bottom pipe past the fan, , so its in gear shove a bit lift a bit shove a bit  lift a bit more 

as they say refitting is the reverse, you guessed you need six pairs of hands  there a little more space with  a metal fan than plastic but plastic makes gravity and  the blade angle help/ easier to refit 

Peet

Ok. Thanks. That's a setback. Most things I can find on EBay or Rimmers etc but 4 extra hands I will struggle with!

Spurred on by the thought of having to get the help from a garage I had one more go. Not for the purists (or the squeamish) but I've got the tap free with mole grips on its threads. So at least it's drained. 

Pete on your spare tap can you see how the steel key is attached to the brass tap shaft please? Also does the tap unscrew right out of the brass housing? Wondering if I might be able to either fix the key back on or just replace the bit that turns - leaving the 9/16 housing where it is. Hoping to get back on the road whilst the weather stays.

Cheers

Richard

The threaded part will not be removable from the brass as the end is bigger than the thread to make

the gland to seal when its screwed closed.

The turn key is staked lightly onto a plain shank at the end of the brass threaded portion

Not made for gorrilla use ,  

Histoically they are pretty hopeless  due to infrequent useage.

Pete

• Like 1

Thanks all. A very practical alternative re using the hose to drain instead. Its so easy to focus on the problem at hand and not see the bigger picture! Can still catch drainkng coolant in washing up bowl I guess. All back together tonight and filled with water to check for leaks. Idled for 10 minutes. Will do the chemical flush tomorrow then see if the temp gauge is under control. 

Thanks 

Richard

Just to come back on this. Very useful picture of the drain tap. Thanks Ben.

So all drained again (left the tap for now as is works with fingers). Flushed with Holts speed flush then drained, flushed again and filled with coolant. So now to test....

Idled in garage for 10 mins. Needle on temp gauge a few degrees to the left of vertical. So took to the road. Gentle lap around the block (about a mile). Needle moved a few degrees to the right of vertical. So getting warmer. Pinking in third when asked to pull. Not got up to the H on gauge though so that looks a bit better. Would really like to run with temp guage needle vertical. No reason just feels right to me.

So next step. Take out water pump to see what state that's in. Does that sound sensible?

Thanks

Richard

• Like 1

apart from theres little to go wrong or wear unless the bearings are failing, ive never see an vane failures 

and you should have looked when it was drained first time round 

if the engine is not hot  remove gauge bezel and move the needle 

your too far away but thee is a proper smiths test box that tests the sender and all needle positions , eg calibrate to the 2 little dots on the scale

Pete

1 hour ago, RAW1969 said:

Just to come back on this. Very useful picture of the drain tap. Thanks Ben.

So all drained again (left the tap for now as is works with fingers). Flushed with Holts speed flush then drained, flushed again and filled with coolant. So now to test....

Idled in garage for 10 mins. Needle on temp gauge a few degrees to the left of vertical. So took to the road. Gentle lap around the block (about a mile). Needle moved a few degrees to the right of vertical. So getting warmer. Pinking in third when asked to pull. Not got up to the H on gauge though so that looks a bit better. Would really like to run with temp guage needle vertical. No reason just feels right to me.

So next step. Take out water pump to see what state that's in. Does that sound sensible?

Thanks

Richard

Sounds as though you're absolutely fine on temps - wouldn't mess any further! I would, however, sort the pinking - lean running can lead to hotter running.

Gully

PS. In this hot weather my GT6 runs around the 2/3 mark and I can watch the temperature modulation of the thermostat on the gauge. Even sitting in traffic on a hot day it doesn't move above 3/4 - 40+ years old gauges really are just an indication. Many moderns don't even have them - just a warning light - and those that do have heavily damped ones

Edited by Gully

2 hours ago, Gully said:

my GT6 runs around the 2/3 mark and I can watch the temperature modulation of the thermostat on the gauge. Even sitting in traffic on a hot day it doesn't move above 3/4 - 40+ years old gauges really are just an indication

Exactly the same on mine (50+ years!).

The sender resistance values are.  

Full/Hot  =      20 Ohms.  (How much)/(Yes Boiling!)

Half/Normal = 72 Ohms. (Some still left)/(82 C)

Empty/Cold =  270 Ohms. (Must fill up)/(Must change that stat)

Disconnect the sender and (Substitute) connect a resistor of one of the above values to earth to check the gauge.

You can test the sender in a container fill with hot water a thermometer and a multi-meter set to 2k ohm range. Or just change the sender if it is suspect.

This info may help. On the other hand it could confuse!

Dave

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

apart from theres little to go wrong or wear unless the bearings are failing, ive never see an vane failures 

and you should have looked when it was drained first time round 

if the engine is not hot  remove gauge bezel and move the needle 

your too far away but thee is a proper smiths test box that tests the sender and all needle positions , eg calibrate to the 2 little dots on the scale

Pete

Pump itself can be fine but the impeller needs to be a close fit to the housing for it to function properly. This housing can occasionally be corroded or eaten away by cavitation.

Would probably check gauge calibration first though.

Nick

On 8/11/2018 at 12:14 PM, RAW1969 said:

Thanks

Richard

You may find the housing solidly blocked with crud that the flusher hasn't removed, but as Pete says it would have made more sense to do this when first drained. It's worth a look for peace of mind though. Make sure you have a new gasket and three new lockwashers for refitting, otherwise it may start to leak after being disturbed.

As always this forum proves invaluable to me. Another short run yesterday and results were the same. Thinking now that I'm veering towards "if it ain't broke don't fix it" territory. Plenty more things to be getting on with before i start on making new leaks and shearing bolts! That can wait for winter I think ?

Thanks

Richard