Smith heater valve

mpbarrett

My heater  valve suddenly started to leak yesterday while I was out in the Herald.... Its a Smith heater and I think the old diaphragm valve, which I think is not serviceable? 

Before I buy a replacement, I seem to  remember reading somewhere about a better quality replacement (It was either on here or one of the better forums...), I think based on a normal ball valve and commonly used on US cars.

Any ideas or shall I just get a standard replacement?

cheers

mike

If it's the diaphragm that's gone then they are in theory replaceable, though I couldn't obtain one. From memory there's also a rubber seal that seals the unit to the matrix. This is available I think, or possible to knock up an alternative?.

I replaced mine with a standard one direct from a place up North that makes them (I assume supplies all usual suspects).

Some folk have had problems with them failing in a year or so. Mine has been fine for 4 years though car is used all the time and I open up the heater regularly to keep it active. Also the supplier said to have the heater in the on position when not in use, as this prolongs life.

Dave 

Smiths heater valve....... rubbish design to begin with and current replacements seem to use the same kind of fake "rubber" that gets used for balljoint gaiters - with the same results.

Unfortunately the Smiths heater design for Herald and Vitesse has the valve somewhat integrated so quite difficult to use an alternative without matrix modifications.

Various possibilities.  None especially easy to implement.  Some covered on this TR6 thread

https://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/53697-alternative-heater-valve/

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heater-Control-Valve-H38C-2678-030-fits-Fairway-driver-LONDON-TAXI-LTI-TX1-/112288843845?clk_rvr_id=1598561945491&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=twenga&utm_campaign=twenga&utm_param=eyJlcyI6MCwicyI6OTcyMDIzNywiY2kiOiIwMzZhYTJmOTc5YzQ1OTMwYmQzNTk0MWQxZGQxYzU5ZCIsImkiOiIyNDg5MjM2OTE3MzAyMjQ2NTkzIiwidHMiOjE1MzE2NTEwOTQsInYiOjMsInNvIjoxNTAwLCJjIjozMzU0NX0%3D&rmvSB=true

I actually bought this one (was costly as got stung for import duty too - worth checking out other sources - it's a very common part, just not on the cursed Isle)

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=815508&jsn=255

and fitted thus

P1160520s.jpg.86fdebac6fe449a45de50c0adb9ca57c.jpg

P1160521s.jpg.d123e63acaed39887f7fd374a0679975.jpg

Heater matrix mods were needed but it now works as a heater valve should, unlike the Smiths thing.

The taxi valve in the second link is internally similar but will require different tricks to install.  There is also a plastic valve used on may 80s VWs which is cheap and works beautifully.  We have one on Chris's Spit.  Also  difficult to implement nicely on a Herald/Vitesse though.

Good luck.....

Nick

7 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

There is also a plastic valve used on many 80s VWs which is cheap and works beautifully.  We have one on Chris's Spit.  Also  difficult to implement nicely on a Herald/Vitesse though.

Good luck.....

Nick

Comes from an early model Polo and works very well, even if it looks nothing like the original. Can be hard to find one, though.

Not just Polo. Easy.......

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heater-Control-Valve-for-Heat-Exchanger-VW-Golf-MK1-Caddy-1-Cabriolet-155/311930885143?fits=Car+Make%3AVW&epid=1738730199&hash=item48a0879417%3Ag%3AjyMAAOSw-olaDJVu&_sacat=0&_nkw=vw+heater+valve&_from=R40&rt=nc

First of several listings.  Seem to be available again now, they were hard to find for a few years.  Not classy but effective.  Reverse acting compared to Smiths.

Nick

I replaced the valve on mine last week. The old valve was completely blocked with goo, the hosepipe wouldn't clear it. With the hose pipe connected to the heater it flushed out fine, boy was it brown! to start with.

I've fitted the standard valve and will make sure that I regularly use the heater just to circulate liquid and in winter when it goes into hibernation will leave the heater control in the "on" position.

Found a metal one very similar to the one from the USA see

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16mm-5-8-Heater-Control-Valve-Push-to-Close-Kit-Car-Classic-Car-Taxi-TX1/201955250144?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D52543%26meid%3D5d2acb0adb984f3f9d86c0252a2e85e0%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D352400202677%26itm%3D201955250144&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Took mine to bits and the rubber diaphragm has split. Have ordered a standard replacement but will look at making something better in the future that I can bolt straight onto the heater matrix.

cheers

mike