Servo's

Clarke44

I agree that fitting a servo doesn't make your brakes better, just requires a bit less effort.

Where I did find an advantage with the servo is if you drive modern (heavily servo assisted) cars normally and then jump into your Spitfire you don't scare yourself the first time you brake and think the brakes not working, and more even what I found got out of the Spitfire and back into the modern car you don't break your nose on the steering wheel the first time you brake as you jump on the pedal!

• Like 1

Yes, agree with the above.My servo's failed and been fixed, broken again and replaced and failed again! Fixed, braking is marginally easier but it makes no difference to braking distance. I'm happy with it as it is and disinclined to get it fixed again.

Wheeler Dealers' Ed China stated the other week that a servo increases the pressure at the brakes; I spent the next ten minutes complaining to ‘er indoors that it will give the same pressure at the brakes for less pedal pressure, so it doesn’t improve the braking, just the effort required. I was surprised to see Ed making this short of claim in the series.

I have never even considered fitting a servo, mainly because it's just something else to go wrong!

When I get in my GT6 the brakes scare me because they are so sharp compared to my servo assisted Nissan Almera (no I'm not proud of owning that...).

The brakes are simply in very very good condition and well serviced...

Henry