Rear Trunnions

Hi all. 

Been assembling my suspension units and eventually worked out how all the bushes and water shields go together on the rear units !

Problem now is that the rear wishbones duly assembled with bushes and water shields don’t remotely fit round the trunnion tubes on the vertical links. 

Any experience of this, and more important, any suggested solutions ?!

Thanks a lot

Richard

When you say they "don't remotely fit", how far out are they?

As you mention wishbones I'm assuming this is a Rotoflex setup. When I rebuilt my GT6's rear suspension, many years back, I do remember one side being far too tight to force it in, although it would only have been half a mm or so. I got round that by carefully sanding back (well, OK, angle-grindering with a sanding disc) the bottom of the vertical link until it just fitted.

6 minutes ago, NonMember said:

When you say they "don't remotely fit", how far out are they?

As you mention wishbones I'm assuming this is a Rotoflex setup. When I rebuilt my GT6's rear suspension, many years back, I do remember one side being far too tight to force it in, although it would only have been half a mm or so. I got round that by carefully sanding back (well, OK, angle-grindering with a sanding disc) the bottom of the vertical link until it just fitted.

Thanks Rob. I suspect I may need to do that although I’ve since read elsewhere on here that maybe I don’t need all the water shields and seals with Superflex bushes........

The only reason for leaving out the shields and seals would be when the tubes the bushes run on are stainless so will not rust (the seals arent designed to protect the bolt which not being stainless should be covered with an anti-corrosion lubricant).

On ‎06‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 22:09, johny said:

The only reason for leaving out the shields and seals would be when the tubes the bushes run on are stainless so will not rust (the seals arent designed to protect the bolt which not being stainless should be covered with an anti-corrosion lubricant).

The anti-corrosion lubricant will wash off quite quickly, then you will get water into the stainless steel bush which will be in close contact with the ordinary steel bolt, then you will get severe galvanic corrosion between the sleeve and the bolt. 

When I rebuilt the rear suspension on my Mk2 Vitesse I drilled and tapped for a Grease Nipple to the middle of the Vertical link part were the long bolt goes through.

Every 6 months or so I would pump in EP90 Oil and give the long bolt a full turn to circulate the oil, this was to try and stop the usual long bolt seizure problem, it seemed to work?

• Thanks 1

Or just leave it, then hacksaw it off in 10 years? No ideal answer.

I have rotoflex, and decided on polybushes. May not have been ideal? But every now and again I loosed the bolt and shirt it about. So far so good. 5 years, but only about 15K. (all weathers though)

Maybe I will take them right out over the winter. Time for all sorts to be attended to! (mainly the rear body where it got shunted in the summer)

• Like 1

Well I’ve got there eventually !  A couple of things really helped. First the extraordinary video skills of Richard Briscoe showing me how it goes together, and then the Paddocks trunnion kit with the hard bushes. I’ve also assembled everything with tons of grease and I have indeed ended up using the full water shield and dust seal kit so fingers crossed I should be fine. Interestingly, with the Paddocks kit, the wishbone slipped pretty easily on to the trunnion bolt “tunnel”. I need to speak to the guys at Superflex as the flanges on their bushes are too thick, making this assembly exercise impossible.  I’m feeling reasonably confident about it all now, and the trunnion bolts are well lubricated. Meantime I also attach a picture of my new patented tool - a micro grease gun made from a vets horse syringe provided by my brother !  Did a really neat job of greasing the insides of the bushes etc.

Thanks very much to you all for the helpful input as usual. 

9CB69220-DD6D-4D80-87AB-651526239343.jpeg

FA58EFFF-FAC6-47CF-ABE5-D583CE3E8E04.jpeg

A84D9408-F2CF-466F-B505-81A9FF031377.jpeg

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

one small point  coppa slip is an anti seize compound not really a lubricant or water repellent

got some or those syringes for the cats and parrots , never thought  of using, as a greaser

the're good for other squirt jobs 

Thanks Pete that’s helpful advice. What do you suggest ?  I was going to ask separately what people use for the track rod ball joints inside the steering rack gaiters so your comments would be welcome on that too !

Richard 

4 hours ago, johny said:

+1 for using a syringe to oil front trunnions (sometimes it helps to push in the little ball in the nipple first to ensure its not seized)....

Just take the nipple out completely, the oil will still fill the trunnion if the syringe nozzle is pushed into the threads sufficiently to stop oil coming back out.

20 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Just take the nipple out completely, the oil will still fill the trunnion if the syringe nozzle is pushed into the threads sufficiently to stop oil coming back out.

More work to take out the nipple than it is to check the ball is free!