13/60 fuel line route from rear chassis to tank

pirate

I need to replace the fuel line on my triumph 13/60 I can see it runs along the chassis but wanted to know where it runs reaching the rear and up to the tank need to plan the easiest way for me to do it.

The old fuel pipe is leaking and have bought new kunifer pipe.

Im restricted on how much rolling around and stretching I can do due to having major cancer surgery 16 weeks ago, I'm keen to get the fuel pipe sorted so I can move the car and I can smell petrol each time I go in the garage, thought I could just cable tie it to the old pipe just to get it running.

There's very little point cable-tieing it. The hard part about fitting the fuel pipe is persuading it through the outriggers. Once in place, the clips that hold it are really easy.

It's a while since I've looked at the routing at the back of a Herald (or even a Vitesse, though I was planning to replace mine at some point). I assume this is a saloon or convertible? The routing on the estate is rather different. On saloons, the pipe leaves the chassis then pokes up through the front left corner of the boot floor. There's then a rubber hose connecting it to the tank outlet, which is well hidden by the tank.

I was hoping I still had the series of photos (tank to carb) I took for Colin who wanted the same thing.

With regret, I have got rid of them. That said, Colin may still have them on his system - worth sending a PM or perhaps Colin will pick the thread up and be able to assist.

Regards.

Richard.

Just looking through my photos, I think it is the brake pipe route I did for Colin - useful I know !!

I will be back home next Tuesday, so if you have not had a decent response I'm happy to photo the fuel line for you on Wednesday and pop them on here.

Regards.

Richard.

6 minutes ago, Ben Caswell said:

Set up a small tank or can in the engine bay feeding the fuel pump directly with a short length of flexy fuel line so you can do a short run.

Can you not find a local area member who could give you a hand??

I don't think there are any members in my area. That could be a good solution and disconnect the fuel line at the tank.

Im restoring the car It came to a stop while going through treatment, but now doing light jobs to make some progress.

Managed to do it, the old rubber fuel lines were in good nick so after blowing the new kunifer pipe through with the air line to clear any muck picked up feeding it through the chassis. Connected up and car runs no more fuel leaks. :) 

Hi

Glad to hear you suceeded. Just picked up on this thread unfortuately. I recently ran new fuel line on mine and as it is a rolling chassis I will look to post the pic`s as a guide for future reference. (have to find them first!)

IMG_5862.JPG

IMG_5865.JPG

Edited by PeteH
Adding Photo`s
  • Like 1

Thanks Pete I ran the fuel pipe using the same line, to save me doing too much pulling and rolling around, I left the old fuel line in place, will remove it when I'm more up to it. No leaks was the priority.

I intend to replace the brake pipes with kunifer before the car goes back on the road.

your project is looking good :) 

I know how you feel! I've no idea where I actually found time to work, and still do everything else. I'm possibly going to find time to start my 1200 convertible (again) - most of the body work done, all the ancillaries refurbished, nearly all the required bits purchased or located, just never had the time to put it all together! Now all that's needed is to get it painted before reassembly and that's almost* been arranged. 

*painter wants to use my garage to paint it in; that's a non-starter. his shed is much more suitable in that I won't have to clean it all up afterwards.

BTW - 2 things - is that fuel pipe long enough to reach the pump, or are you adding a flexible hose in between? Also: do you still have the clips that hold those front pipes to the top of the turrets?

14 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

is that fuel pipe long enough to reach the pump, or are you adding a flexible hose in between?

There has to be a flexible hose between the fuel pipe on the chassis and the little stub on the pump inlet. It needs to cope with the movement of the engine. On the other hand, there isn't supposed to be any flexible hose between the pump and the carburettor, other than the two-inch-long coupling from the pipe round the head to the carb inlet (on a Herald, anyway - Vitesse and GT6 have three such links because of the T-piece to feed both carbs).

HI

The pipe is deliberately oversize at both ends, I will trim it to fit once the Tub(s) are back in place and the Engine and Fuel Tank installed with likely an inline Filter somewhere in the system, I already have R9 hose to go.

• Like 2

On 28 November 2018 at 07:15, PeteH said:

Hi thanks . Just wish sometimes I could get more done. It's more a distraction than a proper project currently. Like many others I wonder sometimes how I managed to find time before retirement!!.

My son is a single working parent with a 3 yr old, my retirement plans gone out the window! 

I get time when he's at nursery if I have any energy left lol.

Trying to prep and paint bits ready for the re build, started on the door cards today.