Front door Outer window strips Herald

Jughead

HI everyone,

some questions / help regarding outer window strip...

So mine are perished all the way past the 1/4 windows so i have picked them out and now can basically just see down into the door.

Am i right i need this.

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-608278

1 length? per door and it will go from the start of the 1/4 window frame edge right to the far edge of the door? just slip down tight into the door?

I then saw these...

I'm guessing they secure it some how but says on website i need x16 of them? I can't see where they go?

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-613869

Many thanks for any steer .

hi, yes thats what you need and it goes right along the door from the front edge past the quarter light frame to the back edge in one piece. The clips are a bit awkward to fit cos they go with the open bit pointing up and have to be pushed into place from underneath so that they clip together the door skin lip (inside the window slot) and the lower edge of the seal strip. Its best done with a strip of thin steel bent into a right angle and then used to hook under each clip in turn and pulled upwards.

Canleys are a lot cheaper for the seal strip and they come with the clips.......

In the manual is shows you need to make a slim metal hook to enable getting the clip into the glass gap, the hook needs to hold the clip

best tip I can give is tie a length of cotton to the clip so when it pings off and escapes you can retrieve it from the garage floor or inside the door

With 6 pairs of hands a piece of timber and a  small mallet  with the seal in place fiddle the hook into the glass gap align the clip to fit over the seal flange and the door skin flange , then when pulling the hook upwards tap the seal downwards with the timber drift and mallet

Some clips sold are too narrow for some rather thick aftermarket seals  may need opening up a little ...or a better clip

Once you have the hang of these  antics its quite easy

Pete

The original seals are shaped to fit round the quarter light frame and I think are no longer available. There were a pair on ebay recently, collection only from the seller, about £50.

I have just fitted the ones you are looking at, and yes the clips are sods... I also trimmed the new seal to fit the quarter light.

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

best tip I can give is tie a length of cotton to the clip so when it pings off and escapes you can retrieve it from the garage floor or inside the door

... and it is definitely a case of "when", not "if".

It gets easier with practice. By the five hundredth door or so.

In fairness, the Canleys one that I fitted to Tessa after replacing the winder mechanism was a LOT easier than the ones I put on Toby (with new door skins).

• 3 years later...

I've read the workshop manual and this thread.  I have done this before, but forget how I did it.  Is the outer seal, 608278, installed with the glass removed or in place?  Right now I have the glass out and the wing window frame loose in the opening.  I trimmed the seal tab away in two places to clear the wing window frame.  I am stuck. I am seeking guidance. Thanks

The rubber seal can only be installed with the glass in place, as there's no way to install or remove the glass past it. And if you fit the seal and then discover the glass has fallen out of its support frame, you have to dismantle the whole door to fix that.

The clips go on to the glass and door skin together - you have to put the seal in from above and the clips from below. It may be possible to do the clips on the inner furry bit in two steps.

always tie 12" of thread to each clip so you can retrieve them when they fly off 

you need 3 pairs of hands   one to load and line up the clip and the seal 

one to to pull the clip tool up firmly

one to hold a tamping bit of timber 

and one more to use a small mallet

so pull clip up .press seal down and give it a whack with the mallet all in one operation 

its the only way to get the clips fully located 

take your time  

and forgot one to fish the thread out the door as yoou will loose clips asn they escape

Pete

aha   sorryMartyn     i do mention it from time to time  

bloody knuckles is the first option   always have sticky plasters in the tool box  ha !

i dont remember where i learnt the trick 

and some replacement seals are just too thick , may help if you open the clips (more blood) a bit to help

many clips sold are completely wrong  just to aid the job along 

i often wonder if 1mm thick double sides glazing foam strip would work  it   sticks like sh1t

Pete