Hello from a new younger member

there is only one triumph spec for oil pressure  40 to 60psi at 2000 rpm, 

warning lights come on at 6-8psi (these switches  can fail but cheap to replace)

anything else is deemed ok.

so whats needed it a complementary list of things that make you feel it needs any work at all ???

Pete

2 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Also running without oil is pretty successful

Famous quote from a few years back on a potential new purchase: 

"Does it take much oil?" 

"Aye it would take it, if it could get it...."

Re John D -  the oldish Triumph Restoration guide by Peter Williams and Lindsay Porter has a photo of a car with a remote oil filter adaptor, see the section on page 236, where they also state: "Herald and Spitfire owners learned long ago that fitting the correct Unipart oil filter (or EXACT equivalent) with an anti-drain valve, not just a look-alike, cures the problem."

4 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

A 1500 Spitfire has a canister filter, who would fit a non drain back one?!!  :lol:

Because of the slightly odd size of the thread for the 1500 filter many of the (now small number) of filters available do not have the anti-drain valve - so people could be fitting them simply because it's the only filter they can readily get hold of?

I, like many others, have used the wix thread adapter to broaden the choice available, and my filter of choice for the Spitfire is now the Mann W713/9... but it won't fit a standard 1500 engine without the thread adapter.

Dave,

Yes it did, death rattle gone in a few rotations rather than what previously seemed like minutes! But as I said these engines were designed with the death rattle, it's less worrying not to have it, but does it matter?

Y_S,

There was a previous post on here about this thread discrepancy and Clive (I think) found some conversion pieces and ordered quite a few for those interested. Worth having a search for that post. But I'm sure Clive will be along soon, now I've dropped him in it! :lol:

Doug

The standard filters from most of the usual suspects don’t seem to have non return valves on the filters. 

You can get ones with double valves that are standard fitment - but are hard to come by - it you can get an adapter for the filter to a more standard size with more options. 

@clivedid have some adapters for a very reasonable price. 

9 hours ago, Anglefire said:

The standard filters from most of the usual suspects don’t seem to have non return valves on the filters. 

You can get ones with double valves that are standard fitment - but are hard to come by - it you can get an adapter for the filter to a more standard size with more options. 

@clivedid have some adapters for a very reasonable price. 

I thought I had a couple left, but can't find them at the moment...

Using teh common 3/4" treadd filters does seem the sensible way forward. Not really a modification as all you are doing is swapping a simple screwed adaptor. I reckon there are a number of double-valved filters available, just a matter of tracking them down!

Trouble is the import bit. 

Rock is where I got them from, but buying 10 made the postage +customs costs etc sensible. Though each adaptor is still sent in an oil-filter sized box. Could fit 50 in each of the ten boxes!

No need to import filters, loads available here. I just cleared my dads garage. Found an old ford and a merc filter. Both have the 3/4 thread,so will be used onmy spitfire. Already got a couple of ford duratec filters in stock. (my spit doesn't need an anti-drain valve as the filter hangs vertically, but not exactly standard!)

• Like 1