GT6 battery

euan douglas

I've been trawling through the Search facility to see what anyone recommends for a GT6 battery, but other than a type 063 I am now lost.  Is it important to get a 52 Ah rather than a 44 Ah and likewise is it better to get one with 520 amps cold cranking rather than say 440?  Also I want one with the -ve terminal on the left front.   All Halford's ones seem to have the +ve terminal on the left front.

I see Battery megastore seem to do a good selection - any thoughts on them? 

All input gratefully received.

Euan

The 63 is often used as its a volume battery hence cheaper and available 

Having higher  old cranking etc is a useful but going too large can end up with poor cycling of charge discharge its  balancing act between used  discharge and charge rate capacity that keeps a battery alive

Too small runs out of umph,  too large and much of its capacity never gets used and it sulphates up quickly

Pete

OK, first thing - the 063 battery type specifies not only the dimensions but also the location of the terminals. As you note, they are swapped over from the type 027 that Triumph specified. Many people (myself included) fit the 063 because it is cheaper and has a higher capacity. You just have to fit it with the terminals at the back (bulkhead side) instead. This is actually better because there's nothing nearby that could accidentally touch them, whereas the terminals to the front makes them very close to the battery retention clamp.

Now to capacity specs. The GT6 engine actually turns quite easily. You only really need 30Ah and 250A. So anything in an 063 these days will do the job with room to spare.

I've not used Battery Megastore. I usually buy from Tayna

25 minutes ago, NonMember said:

OK, first thing - the 063 battery type specifies not only the dimensions but also the location of the terminals. As you note, they are swapped over from the type 027 that Triumph specified. Many people (myself included) fit the 063 because it is cheaper and has a higher capacity. You just have to fit it with the terminals at the back (bulkhead side) instead. This is actually better because there's nothing nearby that could accidentally touch them, whereas the terminals to the front makes them very close to the battery retention clamp.

Now to capacity specs. The GT6 engine actually turns quite easily. You only really need 30Ah and 250A. So anything in an 063 these days will do the job with room to spare.

I've not used Battery Megastore. I usually buy from Tayna

Another tick for Tanya, good prices and quick delivery

Paul 

I think the manufacturer/quality is always important and even more so for classic cars that dont get used frequently. Obviously Bosch, Varta, Yuasa etc are good but also pricey so I prefer Exide (and other makes like Hankook who sell them under their name) for a great price/qualtiy balance.... 

I found the 063 didn't have enough guts for my GT6 (even more so now that the main and big end bearing shells have been renewed) so in 2013 I fitted a Halfords HCB065 calcium battery which has 470 amps.  I chose it by the bodger's method of measuring the size of the battery box and then going to Halfords to find the biggest battery which would fit.  And it is still going (just) so I will probably replace it with another 065.

1 hour ago, jondhm said:

I found the 063 didn't have enough guts for my GT6 (even more so now that the main and big end bearing shells have been renewed)

Really? Given that the factory fitted 027 was good enough for all the production cars, I'd be tempted to say that suggests there's something badly wrong with your engine! Or, perhaps, you're blaming the battery for defects in your starter motor / solenoid / wiring.

Hello,

Have to say Tanya is an excellent company with a very good website and searching properties - such as vehicle range, battery code number, battery size comparison, individual battery spec and battery post location  etc.

I popped GT6 in to their search engine and have attached the responses - I should point out that the listing is those received from customers who purchased a particular battery (via code) for their respective vehicle.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/search/fit%3Atriumph gt6

Agree that ECP and Halfords are good for batteries especially when a sale is on, but as far as I know only Tanya give you such far reaching search options compared to other company websites.

Regards.

Richard.

Ive got an Exide EA755 in my standard Vitesse so 75ah and 630A which has been and is brilliant. Its not that it needs that cranking power but more that I can leave it for ages (no power supply for a trickle charger) and its still got enough to spin and push a bit of oil around the engine before firing.

Arr Batteries. A bit of a minefield. I agree with Rob the original factory spec batteries were adequate for purpose. In my view they were adequate for the driving habits at that time. Having bought a couple of new Triumphs the only time I had to replace the battery due to poor starting was in one case after 12 years. The other after 11 years. The problem was due to age and not inadequate spec. These were the original Lucas batteries.

So maybe some of the batteries now on offer don't match the original Lucas spec. This was true back in the 1960's/1970's, there were cheap batteries that only lasted a couple of years and also had difficulties turning over the engine in cold weather. I guess the minefield is finding a battery that meets the Lucas spec. All input is very welcome.

As an aside if we use a classic car in the Winter (and maybe everyday) then one of the problems is that we now use far more electric power than we did when our Triumphs were made. This can drain the battery when stationary and rob the battery of changing current when on the move. Driving habits have changed.

Fitting a higher capacity battery is a positive way to go. But remember it would also help if you increased the charging ability of the electrical system to match higher capacity battery. e.g. Fitting an Alternator or a higher output alternator.

Then we move onto the current capacity of the wiring between the generator and battery. e.g. Larger diameter wires may help.

If you only use your Triumph in the Summer then generally just fitting a good quality battery to the original or higher spec should be all you need to do.

You should of course insure there are no problems with both the charging and starting set-ups. And it's not the battery giving the problems.

Cycling, the charge/dis-charge rate, is less of a problem with the original lead acid type car batteries. Yes it is a problem with nicad batteries.

Sorry to waffle on, just my thoughts and experience.

Dave

19 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

Dave you had some  blue star batteries as well then   ????   And the days of starting handles  on a cold day

Pete

Pete - No blue star batteries. But when I had a 3C Minx, with the bonnet covered with snow then only half a turn on the handle and she would start.

Dave

35 minutes ago, dave.vitesse said:

Pete - No blue star batteries. But when I had a 3C Minx, with the bonnet covered with snow then only half a turn on the handle and she would start.

Back in the very late 1980s, when I lived in Thatcham, my rusty, multi-coloured Mk1 Vitesse was the tattiest car on the street. And on a cold morning, it was the one that started most reliably.

• Like 1

Hi,

More AHr & CCA is better. The biggest volume batteries that fit in the space are:

Battery Code Ampere – Hour CCA Length (MM)  Width (MM)  Height (MM) Weight (KG) Terminal
27 60 540 243 175 190 16 T1
027T 62 550 243 175 190 16 T1
75 60 550 243 175 175 16 T1
075T 60 590 243 175 175 16 T1

Different technologies/price will dictate how much higher your figures are. Mine are 64AHr 640CCA. Mine has been periodically checked for CCA, is always greater than spec. I guess AHr is also unchanged.

I don't know why I do not recommend a 063 type. I looked at this many years ago.

Do not buy from Halfords. LOL.

Ensure you have more than 14.1 Volts on battery terminals when fast idle with minimal electrical loads.

Do not pay extra for "extended" warranty. Don't abuse & try to claim warranty, they will know why it died. LOL

And keep it off the concrete floor.

Cheers,

Iain.

2 hours ago, dave.vitesse said:

Dave

I had a phase 5  Minx,   always fired easy , but new battery was a miracle then added a solenoid and push button starter

Real modern stuff back then.