Trunnions

On 25 February 2019 at 13:34, Pete Lewis said:

Agree with that ,  some felts and tin cups are from something similar but grossly oversize 

Can be just  completely useless

Pete

The ones supplied with the Club Shop bearing kits are fine and fit well.

Gully

The full lock angle on the small chassis cars is about 50deg, which is very slightly over 1/8 turn, plus you want a bit of headroom. As Wayne and Dan said, that means you want a bit more than 1/8 turn available - ideally 1/6 to 1/4 but they're not consistent so sometimes you end up needing a whole turn.

• 1 month later...

Hi. Just read that the bearings spin on the stubs.

Had to do some work on the trunnions recently, in a hurry and hubs off, I guessed that they weren't supposed to spin, so, cleaned the bearing surface of stubs/inner bearing faces and put back together.

Off for a long trip on Friday. Do I need to regrease these, please?.

Thanks, Dave

You only need to  grease the bearing races  filling the hub cavity is a waste of grease , and hold heat in the hub

Yes all wheel bearing will spin  the fronts the outer cup  is fixed the inner rotates on the stub axle , 

On rears the inner race is tight on the shaft   but the  outer cup can rotate in the trunnion brg. Housing

If the fronts were  fixed  you would need a drag to remove the hub and impossible to set the end float

All,this  is common practice so the impact loads are never in the same place 

Modern  cassette bearing are a different kettle of fish.

So  dave,  no more grease .

Pete

• 11 months later...

Trunnion lube is on my to do list....Is it doable using Gear oil in a grease gun, or will oil go everywhere but through the nipple??

Thinking about a big syringe maybe too.....Give me a clue guys, Thank you.

Some grease guns work, other leak. 

People have used a normal oilcan, filled with gear oil and just pressed against the hole in the upright. But if the trunnion has been previously greased, it may be a challenge. Syringe may do it, same caveat applies. 

Whatever you do, you need to jack the car up so the wheel is off the ground 

you can use gear oil   ep90 GL4    you may have a plug to remove and fit a nipple to use a grease gun many of us do this 

you can use a simple pump oil can and fill the reservoir thro' the plug hole or even in under the top seal lip.

its advised to jack the car to remove any load from the threads , helps the oil circulate and cover areas that take the load

Clive on it  first  , nowt on TV 

Pete

I use a pump oil can, though seems it has to be at an angle for the end/nipple to seat squarish in the grease nipple hole. my tube is flexable, so ok.

My top seals are newish, so I had to lever the side of seal out a bit, to allow for free passage of oil through trunnion.

Dave