time to check for poor quality hoses

Pete Lewis

just browsing the engine bay ready for the seasons runs ...and other days out and a quick feel of the hoses showed 

some very weak structure in the short angled hose pump to manifold , all others where normal

on removal the hose has 3 full length linear splits in the inner hose , though to the canvass , this is only 2 years old.

why its failed so spectacularly is odd ,  but this would not have lasted long under pressure .

so after you mow the lawn and done the washing up.................... give your  hose a good feel  !!!  ( should i have said that )

Pete

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

so after you mow the lawn and done the washing up.................... give your  hose a good feel  !!!  ( should i have said that )

Pete

Hands that do dishes can feel soft as your hose, eh?

If I leave it until after I mow the lawn, it'll be a few months given this lousy weather. Definitely worth a check, though.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello All

I fitted silicon hose to Spitty 6+ years ago and still feel fine(not club)

It seems expensive but better than the brake down truck or B****erd engine ? (we are off the Spain again this year do not suppose I could get hoses there?)

Roger

As Colin has pointed out, the moulded new rubber hoses are not very good (in terms of longevity). However, OEM hoses fitted to modern cars are excellent, so it is just the cheapskates who make the stuff for "classics".

You could use off the roll 1/2 heater hose for much of it, and I think you can buy a single-hump silicon hose that would do the top rad. The bottom could be made out of 2 silicon bends and a joiner. That would get cost down to about £35, but not as pretty. Would last well though. 

Hi

Thanks Clive. I will look into that, the bottom hose is virtually unseen anyway once the side panels are in!. You can tell it`s a Yorkshireman typing this!!😀, even my Scots relatives think I am tight!😀, and I do have the (OE?) hoses for patterns.

Pete.

47 minutes ago, PeteH said:

Hi

Thanks Clive. I will look into that, the bottom hose is virtually unseen anyway once the side panels are in!. You can tell it`s a Yorkshireman typing this!!😀, even my Scots relatives think I am tight!😀, and I do have the (OE?) hoses for patterns.

Pete.

I was born and brought up in north Derbyshire so I am familiar with the Yorkshire "ethics" on spending money. We used to say that a Yorkshireman was just a Scot with all the generosity knocked out of him.