Adjusting tappets

brian GT6.

I was going to flag this, which I have done (!!):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gunson-G4094-Clikadjust-Tappet-Adjuster/dp/B002WT4S1Y/ref=asc_df_B002WT4S1Y/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310586792281&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12593601439029491200&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045152&hvtargid=pla-640557444477&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

But perhaps it is the same tool you are referring to Colin ??

Some love it, some just do not understand how to use it. I have one of these Clickadjust units, but to date I have not used it, so cannot really comment.

Regards.

Richard.

The gap ensures  the valve does fully close  so any gap is infinitely  better than no gap which can hold the valve off its seat

Remember when you close the gap you advance the cam timing a little 

Having a gap does ensure the valve closes during cold and hot running  going for a smaller gap may at certain conditions be detrimental

Pete

3 hours ago, classiclife said:

But perhaps it is the same tool you are referring to Colin ??

Yep same one. The theory is that you adjust one tappet, then click the others to exactly the same setting therefore no need for a feeler gauge. The problem is that you have to set the device up with - TWO - feeler gauges, tighten the tappet as far as it will go, then back off the required number of clicks, each one being 1000th of an inch, and then  recheck with a feeler gauge.

It's a lot of faffing about and probably easier just to use the spanner and screwdriver method.

A lot of vauxhall engines had tappets that had to be adjusted whilst running..........If the rockers were worn? many chewed up feeler gauges. Mk1 cavaliers were a pig as they were ohc and there was a special tool to stop you getting covered in oil, but it was expensive.... so a kelloggs packet had to do, great till it fell off :( 

Tony.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got an SPQR tappet adjuster.  Bought it back in the early 70s when I had my MG1100.  I think Gunson must have taken them over as I've got one of theirs too.  I bought some stuff off a mate, a Colortune was also in with it.

I always used it back then and I've used it on my Vit6 after I'd removed the rocker shaft to fit new push-rods.

It works a treat, I've never had a problem with it 😉

On 11/06/2019 at 21:21, Pete Lewis said:

The gap ensures  the valve does fully close  so any gap is infinitely  better than no gap which can hold the valve off its seat

Remember when you close the gap you advance the cam timing a little 

Having a gap does ensure the valve closes during cold and hot running  going for a smaller gap may at certain conditions be detrimental

Pete

Hi. I was wondering, as due to rocker pad wear on some, I have been adjusting these by feel, related to the ones I know are good and hoping this was ok as long as it was within a 2/3 thou?.

Rather not buy new rockers, though would be confident about dressing them, as I used to fine filing work for a while silver smithing, though not enough time at the moment for the car.

Cheers, Dave  

Dave  , i dont see any problems with that 

or do your own click adjust,  determine the amount of screw turn from a light  fingered nip to get  0.010"

and repeat that on the worn ones .

even make a card disc  on the head of the screw driver and mark the amount of rotation  bit like timing marks 

Pete

I just did mine, used a wide jaw adjustable spanner - bought mine for £20 from Toolstation. Strong, fits and treat and allowing the crank to be turned effortlessly, and precisely. Just remember to remove it before attempting to start the engine! As for the clearances, patience a screwdriver and feeler gauges and it works a treat. Can try and be as accurate with them as you like but ultimately they will wear/ heat will change the clearances anyway. 

Since I’ve replaced the head and retightened the head bolts and redone the tappet adjustments a couple of times, it’s now sounding a lot quieter on the top end. But I did buy a new set of tappets with bushed rockers some time ago so the pads are nice and smooth and now I’ve got the gap right (the paperwork with the cam -PH1 a is wrong and the conversion from metric to imperial is wrong, so was 2thou too loose. As it is they are 12/14thou inlet/exhaust compared to 10thou standard. 

2 hours ago, kippermcflipper said:

I just did mine, used a wide jaw adjustable spanner - bought mine for £20 from Toolstation. Strong, fits and treat and allowing the crank to be turned effortlessly, and precisely. Just remember to remove it before attempting to start the engine! 

Having seen that done...... Get a paper clip on the spanner and clip the ignition key to it................. :) 

Tony.

1 hour ago, Badwolf said:

I've always been a bit wary about adjusting tappets, hence they haven't been done for ages. Engine sounds a bit like a sewing machine on tick over. Is there anything that can be done to cause damage, like over tightening?

Simple job Badwolf, just follow the manual and dont be to heavy handed... You cant really break anything, if you hav'nt done them before? Just take your time, it's a really rewarding job. :) 

Tony.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, poppyman said:

Having seen that done...... Get a paper clip on the spanner and clip the ignition key to it................. :) 

Tony.

That’s a good idea to be fair. 

I bought a set of large spanner’s that included a 46mm - which is the metric equivalent. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F382498679870

Works a treat   

12 hours ago, poppyman said:

Tony.

Then walk round the garage for days searching drawers looking for both the key and the spanner, until you remember where it is; usually when it falls off after you've given up looking for the key and pushed the car across the garage floor.

I've seen THAT done... 😊

• Haha 1