Vitesse 6 and Spitfire wheels?

Bobtaylor

All Herald family cars used the same hubs / PCD / offset so 1500 Spitfire wheels will bolt straight on a Vitesse 1600, or even a 948 Herald if you're so inclined. I think the oval-hole wheels came in two widths - 4.5J and 5.5J? - the narrow being more common and the same width as Vitesse 2L and Herald Estate wheels. Herald saloon / convertible and early Spitfire (Mk1/2?) had narrower 3.5J wheels. I'm not 100% sure which were fitted to Vitesse 1600s.

The Spitfire MkIV and GT6 had 4.5J (4.5" Wide) Oval hole style Rims, earlier 1500 Spitfire also had 4.5J (I Think?), however the very late 1500 Spitfires had 5J (5" Wide rims)

5.5J (5.5" Wide) Oval Hole type Dunlop wheels were also available as an Option I believe?

Similar style wheels were also fitted on some of the lower classes of Formula series racing cars of the late 70's and early 80's 

The Later Dolomites 1500SE and the last ones made (1979/80/81) also had 5J size Oval wheels, but not sure if the offset was the same as the Spitfire ones though?

Regards

Gary

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies. I will need a new set of tyres soon and so thought about getting 5” rims at the same time.

i had considered getting minilite copies until I read that you need to fit longer studs, hence the original question.

i think I will try to find a set of steel 5”.

Any small chassis triumph will benefit   greatly from upgrades  to 7/16"  or 12mm wheel Studs    quite an easy mod .

No more stripped or sheared 3/8" whether you use  big saloon unf or ford or landy metrics  its a real must have .

Regardless of what wheel or length you require.

Pete

4 hours ago, Herald948 said:

I thought the original Vitesse 6 had 3.5" wheels?

I thought so too?

This is a quote from Wikipedia which states the 2 Litre Vitesse models got the 4.5J Rims?

I believe all the Herald Estates had 4.5J rims and these were utilized on the 1963 Monte Carlo Rally Vitesse's?  

Vitesse 2-Litre[edit]

220px-Triumph_Vitesse_Mint_Green.jpg

A 1967 Cactus Green Triumph Vitesse 2-Litre convertible (although fitted with mock alloy wheel trims only introduced on the Mk2. The original 2 litre had hubcaps)

In September 1966 Triumph upgraded the engine to 1998 cc, in line with the new Triumph GT6 coupé, and relaunched the car as the Vitesse 2-Litre. Power was increased to 95 bhp (71 kW), endowing the new car with a claimed 0–60 mph time of just under 12  s, and lifting top speed to 104 mph. (The 2-Litre was advertised by Triumph as "The Two Seater Beater"). The performance increase was welcome, but it highlighted the deficiencies of the rear suspension. Other detail modifications for the 2-litre, included a stronger clutch, all synchromesh gearbox, larger front brakes (still without a servo), and a stronger differential with a slightly higher 3.89:1 ratio. Wider & stronger 4.5-inch wheel rims were fitted, but radial-ply tyres were still optional, at extra cost. There was a satin silver anodised aluminium-alloy cowling above the new reversing light, and badges on the side of the bonnet and in the centre of the grille read 2 litre. The Vitesse boot badge was retained as italic script but lost the 6 of the earlier model - replacing that with the rectangular 2 litre badge and with a chrome strip underlining the Vitesse badge. Cars with overdrive had a separate badge on the cowling above the number plate/reversing light. Inside the car, the seats were greatly improved, with softer (more plush) covering and a better back-rest shape which slightly improved rear-seat knee-room. A new leather-covered three-spoke steering wheel was also added.

I have had the wheels off but can't see any size stamped anywhere. I used to have a 12/50 Herald with 3.5" standard rims and 145x13 tyres. My vitesse wheels 'look' the same but have 155x13 tyres. So still no clearer, my car is a 1966 Vitesse 6 1600.

Bob

1 hour ago, Bobtaylor said:

I have had the wheels off but can't see any size stamped anywhere. I used to have a 12/50 Herald with 3.5" standard rims and 145x13 tyres. My vitesse wheels 'look' the same but have 155x13 tyres. So still no clearer, my car is a 1966 Vitesse 6 1600.

Bob

The size should be stamped on the Wheel, not sure off the exact position but it should be 3.5D or 4.5J?

Alternatively measure the width in between the rim edges, it should be around 3.5 Inches for an original Vitesse 6 or Herald Rim or 4.5 Inches for the Later 2 Litre Vitesse Herald Estate Rim.

A word of caution. (From wasting a long trip to buy 5.5j wheels that were 4.5🙄)

If measuring across the rim, it needs to be where the actual  tyre bead sits, not the very lip. The difference is 1".... Difficult to measure with the tyre fitted. But do-able with some spacers etc or better still some calipers.

• Like 2

According to the BMIHT certificate my 1200 Estate came with 3.5J wheels, so not all estates had the wider wheels.

Easiest way to tell the width is to use a small coin, like a penny. It will overhang the narrower 3.5J wheel but sit comfortably on the wider 4.5J wheel.

The black wheel is a 3.5J Herald steel and the white my 4.5J spare from the GT6.

DSCF6735.jpg.73828f0e2cf3eb8e551ee9419d8afd5f.jpg DSCF6738.jpg.3e9c5fe87697a33fbae7b8a1089a57d2.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Help!! I have acquired a set of Spitfire 1500 wheels which I think are 4.5". They have 155 80r13 tyres and 175 70r13 fitted at the moment. I have measured the existing wheel in my Vitesse 1600 and they appear to be an inch narrower, and they too are fitted with 155 80 r13 tyres.

So can I swap the tyres on to the wider rime? and would is a sensible tyre size choice for the new spitfire wheels?

I appreciate this topic has been covered before but I can't find the info I am looking for,

Cheers

Bob

non of my factory manuals show a 1600 on 3.5J rims

1600 vitesse should  only have 4.5J wheels fitted   

3.5 came from heralds  ..    estates and vans had 4.5

175/70 is a good match for a 5.5 rim   155/80 on a 4.5 will suit 

175 on a narrow rim gives too much sidewall overhang and less sidewall stability

if that helps  Pete

I know it seems odd, but the spit wheels are definitely 1'' wider. I will need to wait until I get the tyres off to measure it properly but they have old 155 x 13 tires on at the moment as opposed to 155 80 x 13 on my Vitesse.

I previously had a Herald and by sight the wheels look the same, maybe the originals got swapped with Herald wheels for some reason, I can't think of any other explanation.

I think I will go for 155 80 on the new wheels , the one wheel I have with 170 70 has so much rubber on the ground I suspect it may make the steering rather heavy.

I had thought about splitting the difference, but I can't find a 165 that is anywhere  near the correct circumference.

Thanks,

Bob