GT6 MK3 Late Brake calipers

Alex Lowe

Hi all im sure this has been asked before but how do I tell whether i have imperial or metric calipers fitted i have a late Mk3 1974 registered car which I believe has type 16PB fitted 

Also where is a good supplier for replacement as mine are rusted stuck 

The Rimmers site says the metric type were fitted from chassis numbers KE12390 and KF12391. Of course yours could have been changed but I believe the bleed nipples are different with the metric type logically needing a metric spanner so the usual 7/16" spanner doesnt fit.

One of the differences is the diameter of the mounting holes.

The Metric calipers require a stepped shank bolt, part number 158713, where the Imperial calipers require a straight shank bolt, part number 132439.  If you remove the bolt and it has a stepped shank then you have Metric calipers.  If the bolt has a straight shank (and is not a loose fit in the caliper body) then you have an imperial caliper.

The bolts to mount the Metric calipers are about 3 times the price of the ones for the imperial calipers, and yes, I've seen cheapskates use straight shank bolts on Metric calipers - the effect on braking is "interesting."

Also, the threads for the pipe fittings are Metric Or Imperial - and it is very easy to fit the wrong thread type and get a serious leak !

Just because the chassis number says the calipers are Metric or Imperial does not mean they actually are - never underestimate the ingenuity of a previous owner.

With the correct fittings 16P, 16PB(I) and 16PB(M) calipers will fit - even mix and match on different sides of the car.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KevinR said:

One of the differences is the diameter of the mounting holes.

The Metric calipers require a stepped shank bolt, part number 158713, where the Imperial calipers require a straight shank bolt, part number 132439.  If you remove the bolt and it has a stepped shank then you have Metric calipers.  If the bolt has a straight shank (and is not a loose fit in the caliper body) then you have an imperial caliper.

Another excellent piece of info for me to salt away for future use!

Spacing is the same across all the 16 series callipers. As Kevin points out, the differences are holes and threads...

I would not trust pad pin size, somebody could drill a metric calliper to accept the earlier pin. 

Worth sending the callipers away to get them reconditioned. Much better than the new ones on the market (Nick has done a comprehensive write up of the problems with the brand new callipers)

The GT6 caliper (all types) has a 3 1/2" bold spacing.

The M16 calipers fitted to the late Ford Cortina GT had a 3 1/4" bolt spacing.

The bolt spacing on the Spitfire and Herald is 3 1/4" for the type 14 and type 12 calipers.

Therefore it should be possible to fit M16 calipers onto a Spitfire or Herald - with an appropriate modification to get the disc offset and thickness correct.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As I said,  never underestimate the ingenuity of a previous owner.

Not strictly necessary to revert to the "correct" calipers, all 3 types are effective as each other - but the dust sealing of the 16P pistons is not as good as the 16PB.