Opinion

Chris Bracey

I would welcome opinions .

My reacquired 1978(1979)  spitfire is now classed by dvlc as historic. According to the dvla site ( number plate design) I was surprised to see that  I can now use black and white plates but i am torn because at the time of registration (whan i originally bought the car) this was not possible. Whereas my 72 midget could have had the black and white plates it now wears. 

Within the club what do people tend to do?. The reason i am torn is because i am not sure black and white plates will look right on a 1979 car?  Views or opinions please?

On 06/09/2019 at 18:29, Chris Bracey said:

I would welcome opinions .

My reacquired 1978(1979)  spitfire is now classed by dvlc as historic. According to the dvla site ( number plate design) I was surprised to see that  I can now use black and white plates but i am torn because at the time of registration (whan i originally bought the car) this was not possible. Whereas my 72 midget could have had the black and white plates it now wears. 

Within the club what do people tend to do?. The reason i am torn is because i am not sure black and white plates will look right on a 1979 car?  Views or opinions please?

Only on vehicles first registered before 1973. Anything registered after 1.1.73 MUST display white front and yellow rear plates with black letters, regardless of the fact that it may now be classed as historic.

It's also a matter of personal choice for anything older than 1973; my Herald Coupe was 1962 and looked much better with more modern plates, and my Herald Estate despite being 1967 will also have coloured plates, as these were fitted when I got it and were optional before being made compulsory in 1973.

13 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Only on vehicles first registered before 1973. Anything registered after 1.1.73 MUST display white front and yellow rear plates with black letters, regardless of the fact that it may now be classed as historic.

It all got relaxed in 2015

https://insidedvla.blog.gov.uk/2015/11/17/whats-the-story-with-black-and-silver-number-plates/

Might be different in NI because it is a special place, adrift in the Atlantic as it is. 

Doug

42 minutes ago, Paul H said:

Will the  ANPR cameras pick up the black n white number plates ?

Not all ANPR cameras have the same readable technology; it depends on the requirement for using them and also the cost of the unit.

ANPR situated in hospital and shopping car parks etc will not pick up the standard black & white plates - unless you have the reflective silver on the black background plate.

However advanced ANPR located on roads and gantries (normally fee paying - Dartford Crossing or London Congestion Zone or penalty fee - speed cameras) will pick up any plate construction - this also includes foreign registered vehicles.

Bottom line is, do not tease speed cameras and pay your dues !!

Regards.

Richard.

3 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

It's the "historic vehicle" status that allows you black and white. To be honest I prefer yellow.

Thanks Doug - I'll update the filing system in the brain now!

I think some cars suit it, and other's don't (the black and white plates) - here's my 948 Coupe with yellow plates and I preferred them.

asbought2.jpg.bd5914289c7675f4bf92a6abb5ebf0c7.jpg