An educational fault

dougbgt6

I've just replaced my starter motor, it was knackered. However, I'm getting an occasional, " It starts but it don't wanna run, situation" Engine turns, fires and dies. I've got a ballasted system and I thought, "Maybe there's no 6 volts getting to the coil?" And so it was, a flaky connection on the ignition switch.  took me a week to think it through, arrive at the answer and find the culprit. Very pleased with myself, Mr Smug.

Doug

• Like 2

Well done Doug.  Out of interest, when fault finding ignition issues, I guess there's more than one way to skin a cat (or sort a Triumph).

Most books advise to start at the plugs and work backwards.  Any advantage to starting at the coil feed (as this would eliminate, or find faulty switch etc) and working downstream.

Dave

12 hours ago, daverclasper said:

Well done Doug.  Out of interest, when fault finding ignition issues, I guess there's more than one way to skin a cat (or sort a Triumph).

Most books advise to start at the plugs and work backwards.  Any advantage to starting at the coil feed (as this would eliminate, or find faulty switch etc) and working downstream.

Dave

Hi Dave,

if you do not know the system inside out (I'm sure Doug does) then the wiring diagram may be a good place to start. You can eliminate many wasted avenues.

Doug's description of firing on the starter but not running is a classic for the ballast wire but not exclusively.

Whatever the problem if you can reason it out then you have done well.

Roger