Hi level led brake light

Paul H

Looking to add a high level rear brake light to sit on the rear shelf of my mk2 Vitesse Saloon. Looking at grey smoked or black so not really visible until used . Saw one following a classic at a recent show and until the brakes were used it wasn’t visible . I asked the driver and he said it came off an mx5 but couldn’t remember which model. Fleabay has some though not mx5 so asking if anybody can assist with more info 

Paul 

• Thanks 1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MX5-Mk1-Rear-Boot-Light-Brake-Light/123768956523?hash=item1cd134666b:g:KR4AAOSw6r5c3BWK

That's an earlier version in the link; the one in the photo below lasted from 1999 to 2005. The Nissan Micra version is also very nice, as is the BMW Mini version, but you can buy stand-alone versions that will fit any car - a search for Universal High Level Rear Brake Light throws up quite a few.

1.JPG.ed3e5434d1e62885df3f596db143d62c.JPG

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Now that my Spitfire is my daily transport I have seen the wisdom of Paul's idea and I been wondering about fitting high level brake lights. The obvious problem being that the Mk2 Spitfire's detachable hood and frame makes finding a suitable fitting very difficult.  Many modern sports cars have their third brake light on the rear deck or boot lid but I'm not keen to drill holes in the bodywork, besides fitting a light on the boot lid would not place it much above the standard brake lights and so offer little advantage. 

I discovered this on amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0761S184Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 it is a flexible led strip that is designed for motorbikes and I wondered if I could stick it to the top of the rear window of the soft top (inside) and have it connected to the car's brake circuit by a jack plug and socket. That way I could just unplug it when I remove the hood.

What do you think, is it a daft idea?

Adrian

• Thanks 1

Sounds like a good idea.

I took the rear lights (herald) apart, cleaned the plastic and the reflectors and then replaced the bulbs with LED versions.
The difference is amazing suddenly the brake lights, indicators and side lights can be clearly seen. 
Worth the effort if you are using your Triumph in the dark winter nights....
BTW Even if you keep the original bulbs the difference by cleaning everything up is worth the effort.

Mike 
13/60 (1500) 1968 Herald.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Picked up a couple of steak and stilton pies from Sweeny Todd's pie shop in Reading only yesterday.

Pies...………...mmmm

db

The foil tray's in larger pies are suitable for headlamp reflectors......... So i am informed :) :) 

Tony.

Bit the bullet and paid £4.20 for a 9ins led high level brake light from Amazon

1st pic shows the removable bracket which is an alloy right angle strip with a plastic strip glued on . The led strip has a glue strip on . The alloy section fits on the rear parcel shelf and slides in under the rear window so removable . 2nd pic shows the led on using temp wiring . I will now hardwire . The strip also has indicator leds plus rear lights ( dimmed ) so 4 functions 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0761S184Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Adrian originally posted this link .

Paul81476F5A-EA21-4A15-91A0-E1D94C0BBBF5.thumb.jpeg.62e4e8ca57ad7c162d3610cf6b2dce6c.jpeg9F8CC331-CCB0-4B8D-BD50-A75F5470D30F.thumb.jpeg.8789d8de85af1e514e68a95e4099bbcf.jpeg

• Like 1

🙂
27 minutes ago, Paul H said:

Bit the bullet and paid £4.20 for a 9ins led high level brake light from Amazon

1st pic shows the removable bracket which is an alloy right angle strip with a plastic strip glued on . The led strip has a glue strip on . The alloy section fits on the rear parcel shelf and slides in under the rear window so removable . 2nd pic shows the led on using temp wiring . I will now hardwire . The strip also has indicator leds plus rear lights ( dimmed ) so 4 functions 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0761S184Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Adrian originally posted this link .

Paul

Hi,

£2.25 is a bargain!

Probably a couple of watts or less, not the 24 watts advertised.

Nice inexpensive find.

Cheers,

Iain.

• 3 weeks later...