HT Leads

watsona6

I have a collection of LPs from the 70s and 80s, none of which are available on CD, so that speaks volumes about the stuff I listen to! All very obscure folky stuff. Just bought another one, from France this time, only cost me £8, but totally unavailable in any other format. I have a cheap USB turntable to record it to computer, then I can edit it and clean things up a bit before burning to CD or memory stick. There's a serious rumble out of my non-USB turntable which I'll have to identify, but it dates from the 1990s and is probably past repairing.

Doug - Get your albums out of the loft. With global warming and loft temperatures in our house of over 45 degrees c, they will only be good for fruit bowls if you're not careful! With an arm tracking weight of 1 gram or less they will certainly be fun to play. By the way, have you listened to 'Journey of the Sorcerer' by the Eagles?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wZdZKolMIl0

On 04/10/2019 at 12:31, Pete Lewis said:

my deck is a Mitsubishi DP780 quartz lock  from he 80s  but the mag cartridge has to have a pre amp to run thro the  newer pioneer amp the old mitsi  amp went years ago best unit and sound i ever had .

pete

On the basis of this thread drift I dug out my old Technics turntable, cost not a lot back in the day but was to play things I couldn't get anywhere else. It rumbled very badly, the rumbling was going right through the record and needle and was incredibly loud through the speakers. I was going to dump it until I checked prevailing prices - they're now worth three times what I paid for mine twenty years ago - some retailers are asking well over £300. After a stripdown where I improved the insulation of the motor there was no improvement, until I forked out a whole £7 on a new belt. Result!! No rumble and totally silent operation, so I'm well pleased.

Now. Where were we? HT leads?

Can HT leads make that much of a difference or am I being romantic?! Changed the Leads this evening for some Retro Leads custom made ones, seems nice and supple and fitted well. Performance of the car seems miles better.... or is it me?! The leafs were the last thing I needed to do ‘standard service items wise’ so maybe I’m getting the most out of the new electrics now. Pleasing. 

10 hours ago, watsona6 said:

Can HT leads make that much of a difference or am I being romantic?! 

Up to a point, yes. You're talking about the differences between adequate sparks, good sparks and really good sparks, but there's an optimum spark that once reached, there's really no point in trying to improve it, so a good set of leads will be an investment, but a super-duper space-shuttle titanium lead set with solid gold ends is a waste of money. There's only so much that a Triumph coil and distributor can put out - unless of course you upgrade those too, and then it becomes a whole chicken-and-egg race.

Cheap nasty leads are definitely to be avoided and a good solid quality set will make a difference if your originals are past their sell-by. Sometimes even cleaning the contacts works wonders.

On a similar note, I once had a set of cheapie jump leads that I used to help a stranded motorist; we connected them to both cars, he turned his key, and they melted over both wings. The set I use these days would tow him home.

Yes, good leads, as colin says, can help if the old ones are not great (plenty of those about on ebay!)

But the process of swapping leads, which can break corrosion, will help too.

On that note, if you change the rotor arm, seek advice first! Club shop, Distributor Doctor (who makes the things) are good. Anything with a rivet is bad. Very bad.

No idea where to buy quality distributor caps, let alone points or condensors. so much tat about....