Water drain tap

Andrew

Mine did the opposite of seize, it would open too easily. After giving the engine a bit of a clean one day I went for a drive not realising the drain tap had been caught by the cleaning cloth and was slightly open, I had to stop off at a roadside bar and get water ( honest) to top up the cooling system to get me home. I replaced it with a plug soon after that.

I got mine out and nothing happened☹️ A lot of poking with wire coat hanger and a small screwdriver made no difference, all I got was black casting sand.

The drain plug is in a small reservoir lower down and to one side of the main waterway. It is common for the reservoir to get blocked off with casting sand when the block is manufactured.

This is not a serious problem, it can be resolved next time the head’s off, poking from above, but my block was 40 years old before I discovered the blockage.

Doug

12 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

I got mine out and nothing happened☹️ A lot of poking with wire coat hanger and a small screwdriver made no difference, all I got was black casting sand.

The drain plug is in a small reservoir lower down and to one side of the main waterway. It is common for the reservoir to get blocked off with casting sand when the block is manufactured.

This is not a serious problem, it can be resolved next time the head’s off, poking from above, but my block was 40 years old before I discovered the blockage.

Doug

Perhaps you've been lucky, Doug, esepcially if your engine hasn't been running towards the hot side! I've often encountered similar "blockage" there; invariably, I would keep at it until I'd broken through the crud and silt and rust and coolant started gushing out as it should. Just as invariably, that action would (for me) bring running temperatures down significantly!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Andrew said:

Thank you all is it nessarry to drain the block when changing the anti freeze

If you have any doubts about the state of the cooling system I would completely drain the system, flush through with water under pressure, including the heater, with a hose pipe. I found the hose was a good fit to the heater pipe so I could blast it all through. Flush radiator, of course. I also used a flushing product, can't remember which, following the instructions before a refill with coolant.

The products aren't expensive, doesn't take too much time but does give peace of mind.

• Like 1