Slow cranking Vitesse

Steve P

So my Vitesse has always cranked over slowly,spec is:

2.5 PI engine(on carbs),TR5 cam,compression ratio of 10:1.6-3-1 exhaust,123 tune dizzy,Saloon gearbox

It has a high torques starter,i ran a new cable straight from the battery + to the starter and did away with the old solenoid.

Got an engine earth from the suspension turret to the block.

It still cranks so slowly that  the battery goes flat before it fires up,i have one of the booster pack/jump start things and this helps.

I put a new battery on it which is the biggest i could fit in the tray 063 or 065,cant remember.

Any tips that i can get it to spin over quicker?.

Steve

i would add a starter earth direct from the starter or block to  the battery post or the body earth at the battery tray ,     again   all worth a clean up 

my experience with the geared starts is they fly over with little current    so somethings not  right  

one thing you find  with dodgy earths is the choke and speedo cables get hot ???

Pete

• Like 1

You could also measure the volts during cranking at battery terminals and at the starter motor terminal for comparison (an analogue voltmeter might be best for this). If its low at battery then it could be a starter load problem or the battery itself. Ive squeezed in an Exide EA755 75Ah 630 cranking amp battery in my Vitesse or you might even get in a EA770, how does that compare with yours?

Did some tests with a multi-meter today,battery voltage at the battery and the starter was 12.6v off load,the battery was charged 2 weeks ago.I haven`t used it since then.

Voltage at the starter switched live when the key is turned is 12.1v,that`s not on load though.

It won`t turn over at all now,i am suspecting the starter is duff and may always have been.

Battery is a Yuasa HSB075 60Ah 620A

Steve

Are you saying that the starter is energised but doesnt turn and the voltage only drops to 12.1v? If so I would say yes you have a high resistance/poor connection in the starter because if the winding was ok and it was mechanically struggling there would be a bigger drop in the voltage.

15 hours ago, johny said:

Are you saying that the starter is energised but doesnt turn and the voltage only drops to 12.1v? If so I would say yes you have a high resistance/poor connection in the starter because if the winding was ok and it was mechanically struggling there would be a bigger drop in the voltage.

No, i disconnected the trigger wire from the starter to see what voltage was there when the key is turned to the cranking position,it was 12.1v.

On another note i was looking at new motors,Rimmers list different ones for Vitesse and 2.5 Saloons,the club shop doesn`t show any part numbers but both say 9 teeth.

My car is a 2.5 engine but with a Vitesse flywheel and engine backplate, so i guess i need a Vitesse one?.

Also should it still have the spacer ring fitted?.

Steve

39 minutes ago, Steve P said:

Also should it still have the spacer ring fitted?.

Steve

My GT6 doesn't while using the hi-torq starter, and has worked very well over the years but - here's a thought - are you sure your starter isn't making contact with something it shouldn't? It may be turning slowly as it's trying to overcome some obstruction. Have a look for wear around the bendix gear or for marks on the flywheel itself, and maybe try a spacer to see if that alleviates the problem.

Steve I dont think that test helps you very much as the ignition circuit is operating the solenoid correctly so the problem must be on the high current side. You need to see what the voltage drops to when cranking and if, as Colin says, theres a mechanical issue you'll get quite low reading.....

57 minutes ago, Steve P said:

I will try it again tomorrow with the battery freshly charged,it does have the spacer fitted at present.

Steve

When I upgraded from Bendix to Hi Torque I had a spacer plus 2 thin shims . I refitted with the spacer and no shims . This setup worked well for my Vitesse mk2

Paul 

Try without the spacer and give the bolts a clean / sanding down before refitting; it may be an earthing problem. Mine has run for over ten years with no spacer on a GT6 engine and it seems to have suffered no harm with no spacer. The photo shows how it sits at present (or last time I had the engine out!)

starterside.jpg.7c20136171c02ec604eaba09ed88fa93.jpg

Fitted a new hi torque motor on Thursday,(club shop best price),without the spacer as suggested,it whizzed over at full speed,something its never done,but when it fired up there was a hideous noise as if the motor was still spinning with it,killed it and removed the motor again and fitted the spacer.Hey presto its spins over as it should and starts much sooner.

I think the other motor was always faulty as it always cranked slowly.

Steve