Starter issues

Paulfc

Some advIce please. I’m experiencing problems with starting. On occasions when I turn the key the starter “whirrs” but doesn’t engage the flywheel. If I put the car in 1st and turn the key it jumps forward (obviously) and on the next turn engages properly. Can someone please point me through the diagnostic process I should adopt to sort this?

Thanks, Paul

I had a mini that had worn teeth on the flywheel, if the flywheel stopped in the wrong place the starter couldn't engage and I had to do what you're doing to start it. Having said that the Bendix on the starter might also be worn and unable to engage with slightly worn teeth. Worth taking the starter off and cleaning up the shaft the Bendix slides on, a lot of crude in there, Don't oil or grease it, that just attracts the muck, graphite is a good lubrication here.

Doug

So good, you posted it twice?

The bit of Paul's post that gets me is why it spins when out of gear, but engages when in gear. I know Doug's right in that the teeth aren't lining up properly but I'm wondering if the simple act of putting it in gear is enough to rotate the flywheel a fraction, and engage the teeth? 

My daughters 107 would start sometimes first time and other times it would skip on the flywheel.

Changed the starter and been fine since - but you could see the witness marks on the ring gear....

I suspect the solenoid was a little weak and wouldn't drag it in all the time