Electronic ignition

petegardner_901

Hello All

Just found this not sure if it is all true but make you feel good!

https://in.bosch-automotive.com/en/parts_and_accessories/service_parts_1/spark_plugs_1/bosch_super_4/bosch_super_2

£22 at Halfrauds but Fleabay these sort of prices

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOSCH-SUPER-4-PLUGS-WR78-PERFORMANCE-UPGRADE-SPARK-PLUG-0-242-232-504-0242232504/174109417087?epid=249449021&hash=item2889bade7f:i:174109417087

I bought  2 sets when I decided on them as I had experienced fouling (2nd set still unused but have been to Spain twice and Spa twice!!!!)

Not sure if good for normal coils as  my Micro Squirt uses a VW coil pack and wasted spark(which I suppose helps clean them??) 

I am very careful when messing with ignition as I have a shock with old coils and that makes your eyes water so not sure what perhaps double that would do?

Roger

7 hours ago, rogerguzzi said:

DSC00966.JPG

Hi,

If this is how a WR 78 functions I would avoid buying as it's clearly Fake advertising. One year guaranty does not say much for fitting them either.
Surface-air-gap. LOL. 

Buy NGK.

Some of the low spec points replacement systems actually supply less energy than a  correctly setup points system.

If you use modern resistive leads, R type plugs & the lead(s) are failing; moving to non-R plugs will mask the problem & not fix it. Were carbon leads ever OEM for Triumphs?

For Mech PI systems Multi grounds sounds a good idea.

If you are running wasted spark with no dizzy rethink your plug choice as half your plugs fire reverse.

Sparkrite(tm) used to make some good systems. 

Cheers,

Iain.

Edited by Spitfire6
removed space
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, thescrapman said:

Those Ebay ones seem suspiciously cheap, very good value if genuine.

The Green Spark Company usually have good prices, and they show £3.28 each so almost twice the price.

I bought mine off Fleabay Must have been lucky 

Plus a spare coil pack for £10 tested it and packed in the boot along with crank sensor and throttle sensor(same as points and rotor arm etc)

Roger

ps Eurocarspares have them for £13.48 with p&p      just put VW Golf 2000 1.6 petrol in

Hello John and Iain

All I can say they seem to work for me but as I said I use a modern coil pack and leads as for wasted spark not sure what difference it makes other than they tell they alternate between  positive and negative firing?

Still 15,000 miles seems good ?

Roger

Wasted spark ignition just means each spark plug is fired once for each revolution of the engine.  In a 4-stroke engine there's only something for the spark to ignite in the cylinder every second revolution, at the end of the compression stroke.  The other spark that happens at the end of the exhaust stroke has nothing to burn so is a 'wasted spark'.

Hi,

The wasted spark on the exhaust is no problem. The reverse firing plug though will need a slightly higher voltage to fire & precious metal(s) on the center electrode will gain you nothing. You could, of course, periodically swap the firing leads over or the plugs on the pairs.
You can buy expensive double precious metal plugs. Some car models have these fitted as standard; a very long life in a modern engine with plugs that take about an hour to change. I reckon I could change six in four minutes on my car in a race against the clock, including silicone grease on the boots!

I will just stick with NGK BPR6ES plugs as I have never noticed any difference in exotic plugs & change them every year or so. Take them out, have a look & fit new ones. They are not expensive & why bother putting dirty ones back in? Always keep one in the boot. You never know.

Cheers,

Iain.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1