Gauge illumination

Mark B

Hi all

I have been wanting to increase the brightness of the gauges in the Vitesse. I've been finding if harder to see the temp, fuel, and and oil pressure gauges at night, so yesterday replaced the yellow bulbs with E10 987 LED versions. The illumination is slightly better, a whiter light but not as bright as I had hoped. I've checked all the earths, which seem ok.

Any suggestions how I can make them brighter? 

Thanks Mark

Yes I had trouble getting the LEDs fully inserted (:)). Cleaning up the gauge glass inside and out made a surprising difference, they look clean, but they ain't! There may also be a lens inside the gauge, originally to diffuse the light, but not really required with LEDs. 

Doug

1 hour ago, Paul H said:

Check out https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/headlight-led-bulbs

very helpful , I emailed them , quick response and my Vitesse guage illumination is improved significantly 

Paul 

That will give me something to study later; thanks for the link. (the LED headlight bulbs look interesting)

By coincidence I have today received from Classic CAR LED's  LED bulbs for the gauges in my TR6, ordered them at 2pm yesterday, get service.

I have used different bulbs to illuminate the gauges and coloured bulbs for the main beam etc:
GLB504 T10 LED Capless Wedge Bulbs Classic Car Gauge Dashboard Various Colours × 3
BA9S GREEN 56 LUMEN 8 SMD LED SIDELIGHT GAUGE BULB 989 × 4
but it all depends on the loom fittings. The capless bulbs can be a littel tight.
I called Duncan at Classic Car Led's to confirm before ordering, very helpful and knowledgeable.

I had been investigating this on another Forum...sorry...🤭and was given a very useful link if you want to totally refurbish the gauges, although cleaning the inside of the glass and the front of the dial will make a great improvement.

Also purchased H4  LED headlight kit a few months ago from the same company, they make a remarkable difference.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/12/2019 at 11:32, Mark B said:

..replaced the yellow bulbs with E10 987 LED versions. The illumination is slightly better, a whiter light...

Sounds like you've made the mistake of using white LEDs, rather than green ones - https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/blogs/news/why-you-should-not-use-white-leds-behind-coloured-lenses

I fitted white ones from eBay and was a little underwhelmed too...before I found Classic Car LEDs.