Aaron Radiator, London - Recommended

Neil Clark

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Neil, 

I have just received a quote from Aaron to refurb my Herald’s rad.

They have quoted £295+vat. They do look very good at what they do, as your post confirms, but it looked a little steep to me. Could I be cheeky and ask how much your work cost?

Does anyone else have any suggestion? 

Many thanks

'Proper' looking ones - I haven't used one myself but could be tempted - are just under £100, so might be worth looking at if they're a good fit. Anyone tried one? Although the item location says Lichfield UK the company appears to be based in Germany, but run by Zixi Zhang with an address in China... and incidentally Alloy-EU, Alloyworks-EU, Asiperformance-de, BN Autoparts etc are all the same company, so if you buy one for £109, you're buying the same one that you could have purchased for £95... :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Row-Aircraft-grade-Alu-Radiator-For-Triumph-Spitfire-MK3-MK4-1500-1964-1978-UK/233509857974?hash=item365e45aab6:g:cbIAAOSwdz9eBb2O

I bought one for my Herald,nice unit,the only issue i had was that the overflow never ever got hot water in it,the cap that came was 16lb one from memory?,i changed it for a

lower rated one.no difference.

I have no  idea if this is relevant but i was worried about over pressurising my new engine.After 500 miles it grenaded due to a cracked head with water in cylinder no.2.

Related?,i have no idea.But i am out of pocket significantly.

Steve

Cant see that being down to over pressurisation as I think a hose, head gasket or even the rad itself would go first.....

I did see a thread on those ally rads and there was no problem with quality or installation except that the top pipe is poorly angled so makes the top hose connection difficult.

doesn't that top lobster back bend look terrible all aluminum rads seem o be constructed that way, we have a 3 row fitted on the Mk2 Spit installed around 15 years ago and all is fine overflow to bottle works well.

being aluminum the pipe outlets are also very malleable and deform easily.

I had a NOS Australian Herald (CKD build rad Aus supply) 2 core brass rad eons ago that I sold to an Aus Herald 12/50 owner for originality, it was very thin and looked substantially different to the normal Serck supplied unit. 

Peter T

1 hour ago, Mashby said:

Thanks for the info. I am hoping to stay original if I can

Dan, I’m in SE area London, Kent way. Easy to get to Sussex and Surrey

That's useful and the only decent choice is Bryan & Son in Tunbridge Wells, Kent.

Bryan is an old school rad refurber and is probably the best in his field - have used him on a number of occasions. You tell him want you want and he delivers the very best of your requirements. he is one of the Windrush guys and reckon will be retiring soon as his son is not interested in carrying on the business; another loss to the classic vehicle world. 

Many of the VSCC boys and girls will not use anyone else - probably says everything knowing how particular they are and also the rarity of some of their rads, fuel tanks, heaters etc.

He does not do computers or cards, just cash or cheques with no VAT............. his prices are reasonable and turn around usually within the week.

Certainly worth giving him a call on 01892.544.635 // 165A Camden Road, Tunbridge Wells, TN12RF - his premises is located between a pub and curry house - location, location !!!

I've attached a few photos of his modern workshop - think Life on Mars !! Oh yes, the Lagonda rad is being hand built by Bryan for someone in the VSCC.

Hope the above assists ??

Regards.

Richard.

PS: who is this Dan bloke ?? 

DSC00228.JPG

DSC00229.JPG

DSC00230.JPG

Optimized-DSC00231.JPG

That takes me back a bit Richard, i used to have rads done in a similar place in Altrincham in Cheshire in the 70's/80'. They had a pub next door and the floor was swimming in water, most of that had dripped from the railway above it, as it was in an arch. Long gone now sadly :( .

Tony.

11 minutes ago, classiclife said:

Hello Tony,

Bet they still turned out decent repair work - despite the water ingress !!

Regards.

Richard.

They did Richard, any radiator at all, even if one vane was damaged they would cut it out solder it up and off you went. Sometimes they would do it while you waited. :) 

Tony.

10 hours ago, poppyman said:

That takes me back a bit Richard, i used to have rads done in a similar place in Altrincham in Cheshire in the 70's/80'.

I'm just on the way to an Engineering company who works from very similar-looking premises; they've just bored my Herald block. It's a real step back in time and very comforting to know such places are still with us!

It's probably further away from you than Bryan & Son (who sound excellent!) but there is also Berkshire Radiators here in Caversham who I have used. The old chap retired, his son took over but found car alarms more interesting, so dad resumed there! He's done several radiators and a cabin heater for me over the years. I hope he's still in business, but for how much longer?

Cheers, Richard

On 02/03/2020 at 15:45, Mashby said:

Hi Neil, 

I have just received a quote from Aaron to refurb my Herald’s rad.

They have quoted £295+vat. They do look very good at what they do, as your post confirms, but it looked a little steep to me. Could I be cheeky and ask how much your work cost?

Does anyone else have any suggestion? 

Many thanks

Sorry - was absorbed elsewhere.  It cost £252.00 all in.

• 2 weeks later...