Door Hinges Bolts Vitesse mk2

Paul H

Refitting the passenger door on my mk2 Vitesse . The fixing bolts are in a poor state and the thread has stripped on one of the sections  on the retaining plate.
Looking at the plate Is it too far for a thread recut or what size do I need to replace with . I’ve purchased replacement bolts but other than 3/8 don’t know what the full spec is .

I know this was discussed on the forum recently but couldn’t find the info 

Paul 

B97280B5-1A9F-4AC4-8ECD-0CD547F8044D.thumb.jpeg.d8bfcde00aa3583c2111c4ea944e2535.jpeg

4343F486-F9C1-44E5-8255-20E3E4F8685A.thumb.jpeg.383c4a80b56818e054043463d7a25227.jpeg

next size up is 3/8"x24 unf     tapping drill at 8.3mm    will  need the hinge holes opening up to suit 

you could try a M8 x1.25   being a coarser thread can work 

or hole saw the A post inner closing and put a nut on the back might work 

these  do get gorilla'd  by over tightening   the cage plate is not very  thick  easy to strip as youve found ,  

pete

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

next size up is 3/8"x24 unf     tapping drill at 8.3mm    will  need the hinge holes opening up to suit 

you could try a M8 x1.25   being a coarser thread can work 

or hole saw the A post inner closing and put a nut on the back might work 

these  do get gorilla'd  by over tightening   the cage plate is not very  thick  easy to strip as youve found ,  

pete

Thanks Pete , what size are the current bolts ?

When you say M8 1.25 is this for the screwed up thread 

Paul 

They start off as 5/16 UNF. You could try M8x1.25 but you’ll not gain a lot I don’t think. Going up to 3/8UNF sorts the thread but the bigger bolt size limits the available adjustment.

I helicoiled some of the holes on my GT6. Worked but not ideal as the insert comes out if given half a chance.

Nick

Nick I've heli-coiled a couple of hinge bolts, works well but also worried they may work out but as you seldom remove a door more frequently you only adjust they should be OK. Also just a thought would the captive plate locating/backing bracket stop the helocoil coming out to far

Often wondered if the heli-coil was threadlocked in and let dry then run a tap thro it would that work.

Peter T

Problem was stopping them from going right through when you put the bolt in.  I did try threadlock but it didn't work very well - possibly because the anaerobic conditions needed for cure were not met.   A smear of epoxy followed by a tap once set would probably do it though.  Ok now though and hopefully I won't need to mess them again as the door fit is nice.

Nick

when tub was off  i removed the cage plates and re drilled and tapped , still  not very successful 

rivet nuts wont allow any cage plate movement 

still feel hole in inner a post and stick a nut on the back ...permanent fix 

wsm gives a low torque of 16-18 lbft    no gorilla hands here 

pete

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

The plate retaining cage is not easily modified to take a much thicker nut plate , this would be a good move but  needs the tub off and access is hopeless 

its a tap it bigger, or back to a hole and poke a nut in a socket thro to find the end of the bolt ...in the dark  

pete

I’ve recut the threads , first time I’ve ever used a tap n die set [Xmas pressy] I’ve tested the new bolts without the door and pretty sure they will be ok . Door going back on now probably with some grunting and swearing 

Thanks for all input - appreciated

Paul 

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Folks,

'If' attaching a nut behind will work then so should a steel rivnut I would have thought.

Easy to try and nothing to lose.

Roger

Wont a rivnut affect the position of the hinge by acting as a washer 

Paul 

all depends it the rivenut is clear of the plate nut cage or there will be no adjustment available  same can apply to nut on back but in both cases the door must be adjusted /aligned before you lock it up or drill through the cage if needed  

head of rivenut is a valid idea

otherwise   try it 

Pete