Petrol leak on carb CD 150 on Herald

Andrew

Hi all

I have aHerald 13/60 with a stromberg CD 150 carb. Had the carb overhauled four years ago by a professional place.  On two occasions it is leaking fuel. I dismantled it did all the usual things tested the niddle  valve by blowing through it and made sure the float cut the flow off. Made sure the floats were not punctured put it back together and all ok. But it has done it again. On my first trip out on a recent nice dry day. Any suggestions what the cause is and what to do to cure it. 

Thank you 

Hi, have you changed the fuel pump at all? An electric or replacement mechanical type have been known to produce extra pressure which can cause the needle valve to leak. Also how clean is your fuel system? There should be a gauze filter in the fuel pump that will show if much debris is coming from the fuel tank and which could then stop the needle valve closing properly. Also I believe theres been issues with certain replacement needle valves and perhaps a search on here would throw up some useful threads.

Finally leaving the car for long periods can let the float chambers dry out through evaporation which can cause the float to stick and allow an overflow although this usually occurs on the first start up....

yes where is the fuel leaking ???  from the front vent hole via the filter face  or underside from the brass jet holder  ????

most stromberg floats are solid dense foam so dont puncture or fill with fuel , unlike many SU 

small slivers of hose rubber are often the cause they get sliced off when refitting metal tubes into the various hoses and as doug says floatabout and jam in the back if the float valve

agree many new pumps are too high pressure . 2.5psi is about the max they will accept.

the underside jet holder has 0rings to seal the float bowl and smaller ones to seal the adjustable jet , often sold the wrong size and become early life leakers 

to check for slivers you best remove the carb and look inside the feed route , also pump a cupful into a jam jar see if any dive out the supply to the carb before you refit 

and remember every time you pull a hose the refit can make more of the little sods 

Pete

25 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

and remember every time you pull a hose the refit can make more of the little sods 

Never had that issue (yet?), though I have smoothed off any burs/sharper edges off the end of pipes. Also a smear of vaseline around the end of pipe and try to push hose on square and gently.

Also, old hoses would be more prone to this, I assume

Edited by daverclasper

5 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

it all depends on how you cut the hoses.

And the pipes. I always use a proper pipe cutter - the type you tighten and spin round the pipe - to avoid jagged pipe ends. Then I use a very sharp scalpel to cut the hose - if it needs more than two swipes it's not sharp enough.

Hi all 

answers to question. It is defiantly a overflow problem as when the car is at rest and as soon as engine switch off no petrol leaks start up and it leaks again at the back and into the air filter box.  No I have not changed the fuel pump. I have just ordered a new valve from James paddocks so when I have fitted it I will let you all know the outcome.  Thanks for all your suggestions and help

if the old needle valve has no foreign bodies the old trick to re seat was to give it a light tap with a small hammer , ( but not if it has a viton tip) and you cant strip out a strom needle 

to tell whats on the tip but its normally metal  were as a dreaded SU it all falls apart 

on both there should be a thin sealing washer or fuel will pass  in the threads.

and if you dont want to upset the mixture settings you can remove the strom float bowl leaving the jet holder in place 

and note the float may have two  valve arms and can be refitted upside down 

brilliant site for diy pictures of how to   its TR but the basics remain with most of our cars https://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/carburetors

Pete