Vitesse fuel tank leak and repair

Robin

I filled up the vitesse this afternoon and driving home had a strong smell of fuel. I checked the boot and found some fuel on the boot floor and also around the back of the fuel neck where it joins the tank - so I suspect I’ve got some sort of hole or crack . If so then it probably needs soldering or welding - any recommendations in the Herts/Beds/Essex area?

Thanks

Robin

Hello Robin,

If nothing flagged closer by other readers and struggling to find someone:

I know I keep mentioning this chap, but if you can get over to Tunbridge Wells, Kent then Bryan & Son is your man for such a task.

01892.544.635 - Postcode 165A, TN1 2RF.

Regards.

Richard.

1 hour ago, Paul H said:

You could try to line the tank yourself with POR 15 from Frosts , there are other manufacturers . I did the POR 15 and it has worked 

Paul 

I've used the latest version of POR15 (it's the ethanol resistant version). It works well and can seal pinholes.

Anything more than a pinhole will probably need expert brazing or welding.

Nigel

The usual failure point is rust at the bottom by the drain boss. Never seen one fail at the neck.

Are you sure it’s not just slosh and overflow getting past the cap seal (they usually leak) and tracking back down the neck past the body grommet? Mine does that sometimes. My “cure” is to seal the body grommet as it seems impossible to get the cap to seal. Not over-filling is another trick but difficult as the tank has a comedy lack of neck/expansion space.

Nick

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Took the tank out and found a hairline crack where the neck fits the tank. Taking it on Friday to Dave at Auto Rads in Luton as recommended by Pete so hopefully it can be fixed.