Alreet

Alreet mi hearties 😆 RRRRRRRR

Yes a big job breaking out, but not that big, it was restored in 1990 and has faired quite well, just doing stuff that probably wasnt rotted at the time like B posts and A posts repairs. The roof was fibreglassed over a crude plate bodged in  dont know why anyone would go to the extremes of a full bare metal respray (I have pics) and full invoices statement theyed put a full roof panel in and bodge it but there ya go. It was originally brown😳 then done red, then full (ish) resto of inner and outer sills and rear wings. They also state theyed fitted new front lower wings hmmmm. Anyway lots to do, just going tackling a bit more now, heres a pic of o/s B post repair I did the other day 👍

20200405_173040.jpg

48 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Probably all made by the same manufacturer, so no matter who you get them from they'll be the same, with the exception of Chic Doig who can make his own repair sections.

Had a look on Rimmers site and got their catalogue for GT6, they do original presumably Heritage at 103 quid and repro ones at 65ish, theres no way they are made by the same firm with a price difference like that, repro stuff usually is thinner grade steel, will give Chic a ring and been told try Canleys classics 

Cheers 👍

29 minutes ago, NonMember said:

Well, it's not unknown to see that sort of price difference for the very same part between Rimmers and other suppliers...

However, "Heritage" sills should fit fairly well, whereas "pattern" often aren't even close.

Paddocks are £85 for Heritage sills, £55 for Steelcraft. Canleys only stock repro at £72. Fitchetts are £103 / 62 but closed due to virus; Moss are £109 / 74. Quillers are £49. Wins International are £75 for Heritage, which means some of the others are adding quite a bit of 'overheads'....

Fitchetts used to have the original tooling but it was Steelcraft that everyone else bought back in the day; they must be supplying Heritage parts to others now.

34 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Paddocks are £85 for Heritage sills, £55 for Steelcraft. Canleys only stock repro at £72. Fitchetts are £103 / 62 but closed due to virus; Moss are £109 / 74. Quillers are £49. Wins International are £75 for Heritage, which means some of the others are adding quite a bit of 'overheads'....

Fitchetts used to have the original tooling but it was Steelcraft that everyone else bought back in the day; they must be supplying Heritage parts to others now.

Cheers Colin, I'd noticed that re Canleys only doing repro, thanks for looking, I think 75 for heritage is a really good price! 

Moss, wow, I've lined their pockets in the past and restored a midget completely using their heritage stuff.

Thanks 👍

14 hours ago, Brooky said:

Cheers Colin,

You're welcome, it's nice to see Heritage panels becoming more widespread now (I haven't bought a large quantity of panels since the early 2000s, and just used the last of them in January) so I was intrigued to see what prices they were going for compared to the repros, and got hooked on a price-search sort of thing.  

Chic Doig is the one supplier that I'm aware of who will make small repair sections where full panels are not available; there may be others but I've first-hand experience of his, and many times it's been easier to let in a section than replace the entire panel.

• Like 1

Well, I rang Chic Doig, really helpful bloke, gave me a few pointers and said start with the door and build the sills etc to match up the panel gaps, makes sense, ordered the lot from him, outer heritage sills 83ish plus vat but he's giving discount etc on the stuff he can do like door bottom repair and extended at the front up to the hinge👍

Re heritage stuff yes I've had some varying fits on minis and midget panels, all adjustable etc, but the good thing with them is the steel grade is better, the worst I've had were a mini MK2 done just before the GT6, the inner A panel hinge parts didn't line up with the outer ones and had to cut them out and move about 40mm, you get to know which panels fit best once you've done a few etc, if I had to do that MK2 again I'd use pattern inners and heritage outers, but at least we can still get panels so happy days.

Only thing I didn't buy was a floor section, I'd rather fabricate the 60mm wide section than change the whole panel as the rest is good. Pity you can't get that as a section.

Once again thanks for all input very appreciated 😎