LED Indicator Warning Light

Peter Bates

The turn indicator light on my 1970 Vitesse is useless so I decided to buy an LED warning light.

I have tested it and it works. I tested it by removing the bulb from the existing holder and connecting the LED via the contact points on the bulb holder.

But now to fit it properly I have to cut the wires to the existing holder (I can’t see any other way) and connect the LED in its place.

I have read threads which say that replacing indicator bulbs with LED’s isn’t straight forward because the LEDs have such low resistance the indicator unit thinks there is no bulb and flashes rapidly.

I am concerned that having removed the existing holder and replaced it with the LED that I will end up with that result.

There is so little of the existing wire to play with and not much room behind the dash I don’t want to commit myself to removing the existing holder until I am certain it will work.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

There's a couple of things here.

1. You shouldn't need to make any changes to the bulb holder wiring to (physically) fit an LED bulb, just remove the old bulb and screw/push-and-twist in the new one.  Sounds to me like you have the wrong LED bulb.  I can recomend www.classiccarleds.co.uk/

2. If the bulb's wired the same in a Vitesse as it is in a Spitfire then just swapping bulbs won't work.  Certainly in the Spitfire the repeater bulb gets current going through it in different directions depending on turning left or right.  Fine for a filament bulb but will at best only work turning one way with an LED, and in all likelyhood kill the LED when you turn the other.

3. I'd have thought you'd be OK just swapping the repeater bulb to LED from the low resistance side.  It's replacing the 4 corner bulbs that tends to drop the resistance too low to trigger the original bi-metalic flasher relays correctly.

3. Is the repeater bulb NORMALLY dull in a Vitesse?  In my Spitfire I replaced all my indicator bulbs with LED, swapping the flasher relay to an LED-compatible one and, at least initially the repeater bulb to an LED too.  I was making the change to improve the 4 corners, rather than the repeater and have to say the old filament bulb's now back in the repeater - it was so bright I basically blinddblinded myself every time I used the indicators driving at night!  Unless the Vitesse is known to have a poor repeater I'd suggest you migth be trying to treat the symptom, not the disease.

Agree with Mjit on the first and third points. On point 3 (the second one) I've never found a problem with the repeater in my Vitesse. I can't see the one in the Spitfire at all, despite it being actually brighter, because it's a Mk3 and the repeater is positioned where the sun shines straight on it most of the time.

On point 2, the repeater is wired as Mjit says on square-tail Spitfires and GT6s. Vitesses use a 3-pin flasher unit and the repeater is fed from the third pin. LED should be OK.

Apologies. Lack of clarity on my part.

It isn't an LED bulb but a little self contained unit as per attached picture

It fits very neatly into the hole in the dash.

The existing unit, which looks like it must be original, is just pushed through from behind with no means of securing it and the green cover hardly gets to be seen.

Although looking at it a bit more closely I wonder if the green lens is broken, leaving just the screw in bit. 

Warning Light.PNG

Light Spec.PNG

Existing Indicator Warning Light.PNG

7 minutes ago, Peter Bates said:

It isn't an LED bulb but a little self contained unit as per attached picture

It fits very neatly into the hole in the dash.

Nice! I'm exploring options for the Herald (when I get that far!) and whilst I was intending to use something similar to the original - this one has a nice chrome bezel same as the other switches but it's quite expensive (£25?) - I'm looking for cheaper alternatives. Where did you get that one?

842GREEN-1.jpg.229e095da0042de47e03455ef814b673.jpg

Peter, how does the flasher module work on the Herald? If it's the same as my Atlas then there's a separate output pin for the dash-light. In which case, as NonMember says, I would think the LED will work because this output isn't sensitive to load and it doesn't reverse polarity between turn left and turn right. However, if it's the same as the Spitfire then there's no separate dash-light pin. The light is wired between the left and right bulbs and, as Mijt says, it won't work as it stands because of the changing polarity. However, you can get around this by wiring your dash LED down stream of a bridge rectifier as this will ensure the LED always sees a positive voltage.

Cheers, Richard

Looks like a separate output pin for the warning light.

I have tested that it works by sticking the wires into the existing bulb holder and it flashes both left and right.

I want to be absolutely certain before I chop the existing bulb holder out.

Indicator circuit.PNG

Peter that 15 amps current draw is a bit scary for an LED.
If I do the maths right thats a 180 watt bulb😲😲.
I reckon they got that bit wrong like many LEDs.

On my Vitesse the hole is not round it is shaped to hold the green bit. Like many mine snapped the 'lens' off so I bought some green 'emeralds from craft supply shop scrapped the plastic chrome off the back and superglued it to the threaded part. 

Adrian

2 hours ago, ahebron said:

On my Vitesse the hole is not round it is shaped to hold the green bit. Like many mine snapped the 'lens' off so I bought some green 'emeralds from craft supply shop scrapped the plastic chrome off the back and superglued it to the threaded part. 

Adrian

The hole is flat at both sides, as is the jewel, but they break very easily and are hard to get hold of in good condition.

What I'm trying to find is something that's easily seen when on in daylight, but doesn't look aftermarket. I'll find one eventually...

5 hours ago, ahebron said:

Peter that 15 amps current draw is a bit scary for an LED.
If I do the maths right thats a 180 watt bulb😲😲.
I reckon they got that bit wrong like many LEDs.

I strongly suspect they missed off an 'm'. 15mA would be bang on typical for a fairly bright green LED.

31 minutes ago, Adrian Cooper said:

The green jewel was unobtainable for years but James Paddock has them now http://www.jamespaddock.co.uk/lens-green-jewel-ignition-2  but I do like Adrian's solution.

Adrian

Well spotted! I didn't know they were available again. All of mine are old and brittle by now. I'll get one (at least) of Paddock's to salt away; they might do as well as anything. I'm too tight to spend the £28 or so the seller is asking for that nice chromed bezel version...