Putting the brakes on?

SixasStandard

Hello All,

One of the improvements I've been considering for my '68 Vitesse 2L Mk1 is a brake servo. Don't get me wrong.......I enjoy the experience of driving a 60's era car, but that experience tends to diminish slightly when it comes to the 'put your foot down and pray' standard brake set up that Triumph fitted. At the risk of being virtually stoned in the street for such heresy, I wondered what other Vitesse owners think about the aftermarket Lockheed unit currently being offered by Rimmers? At 116 quid inclusive of VAT and P&P it seems like a very good deal compared to the prospect of getting the 5.5 inch mk2b Girling Powerstop I have in the shed reconditioned for over twice that price. I'd appreciate any observations from a Vitesse owner who has installed the Lockheed unit, i.e. their views on braking performance improvement, ease of fitment etc.

Thanks,

Ian   

Ian,

I’m not a Vitesse owner,  GT6! Girling was fitted as standard on mine and I eventually replaced it with a Lockheed type.

I had the Girling reconditioned when it became ineffective and it was as good as it was before. However, when it failed completely I replaced with a Lockheed which is MUCH better. 

Take no notice of the servo police! A servo and Mintex pads make braking a happy experience.

Doug

The standard brakes are VERY good They would stop my 2.5 vitesse (with small herald rear drums I will add) very quickly. 

It suggests either the brakes are not set up correctly, and/or poor front pads. If unsure, check the discs are all good, no scoring, no pitting etc. and the calipers work correctly. Adjust the rar brakes (pop the handbrake cable off each backplate, adjust then reconnect the cable)

Also chck master cylinder size, shoukld be 0.70, if a 0.75 cylinder has been fitted it will make the brakes a bit wooden and feel less effective

If that doesn't help, buy a set on Mintex 1144 pads from the club shop. Night and day compared to the usual pads sold.

If there is an issue where you are uncomfortable with the leg effort required (different to poor brakes) then consider a servo, but don't fit one to ob=vercome an issue elsewhere.

Oh, I fitted a servo to my Toledo rather than have the original rebuilt. I got mine from MGB Hive. Powerstop, sold by virtually everybody now. Choice of boost ratios etc, and very good pricing.

Ah, I see Doug has chipped in. As above, servo for easier effort, but they do not improve the braking.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, clive said:

Oh, I fitted a servo to my Toledo rather than have the original rebuilt. I got mine from MGB Hive. Powerstop, sold by virtually everybody now. Choice of boost ratios etc, and very good pricing.

Hello Clive,

Did you mean 'Powertune'?.......I see that they are cheaper than the Rimmer kit, and buying from E-Bay saves even more over the Rimmer offering. Are these types of servo ok to use with silicon brake fluid?

Thanks to Doug and Clive for the Mintex recommendation.......that at least seems to be a commonly accepted improvement!! 

Ian

Yes, 

It just amuses me that whatever the question: Is Lockheed better than Girling? Why’s it not working? Someone has to say “Servos don’t improve braking!”

Well, yes they do because easier Is a great improvement

Doug 

Back to practicalities, there’s no bleed nipple on the Lockheed servo so make sure it’s installed exactly as the instructions, at the angle required. Also mine said a U bend in the vacuum line, preventing fluid getting in to the vacuum chamber. 

I bought mine off Fleabay £80, much cheaper than Rimmers, it looked the same, but beware!  

I had to take it apart and clean out the interior airways, blocked with grease! I also realised the one way valve wasn’t up to much so added an external one. This was easily done, The Lockheed comes apart with no problem, unlike the Girling. 

Doug

12 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Yes, 

It just amuses me that whatever the question: Is Lockheed better than Girling? Why’s it not working? Someone has to say “Servos don’t improve braking!”

Doug 

Have you got out the bed the wrong side?

• Haha 1

I was in the flowerbed just now, does that count?

Never had a servo except on a modern, but it's up to personal choice. They don't improve the brakes (apparently) but they do improve pedal feel (apparently) so it all comes down to whether or not you have thighs like a Russian weightlifter... or want them...

then theres the where to fit it , the kit is a universal one size fits nothing without a bit of forethought

i fitted one to the Vit6 +1144, + upgrade from type 12s to type 16s    brilliant just a sneeze on the pedal and it would stop on sixpence (olde saying)

not wanting to clutter the M cly space we shortend the battery tray and move it as far N/s as possible , not everyones choice but worked for me 

Pete

New Image (2014_05_23 18_16_07 UTC).JPG

Thanks Clive, Doug, Pete, Colin,

That's a very neat installation Pete, and as you intimated the vast majority of installs I've seen pictured have the servo on the offside, rather cluttering access to the master cylinder. Were you able to achieve the recommended installation angle as per Doug's comments regarding the lack of a bleed nipple? I don't suppose you took any pictures of the battery tray mods at the time did you?

Ian  

Have a servo fitted to my Mk1 2L Vitesse, only to reduce my effort on the pedal, fitted it without needing to drill any holes. Made brackets to support the main body using longer bolts for the pedal box and 16mm banjo fittings to connect to the smiths valve drilling in the manifold.

Regards

Paul

2 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Yes, 

Doug 

Guaranteed to get Doug out of his box. 🙂Every time.

Easy to lock the wheels isn’t necessarily a good thing when there’s no ABS.

I have both. GT6 with a Powerstop servo on all four wheels. Vitesse with M1144 pads and 0.625 M/C. Prefer the Vitesse. GT6 brakes have a slightly non-linear action.

Nick

• Haha 1

the angle of dangle is necessary to expel  air when just normal bleeding at the wheels ,the  supplied bracket sets the angle 

never had any bleeding problems 

no pics of the battery tray it was simply cut down to match the  063   battery and re pop riveted as near to the N/s as feasible 

the only tight fit was shorten the mounting studs as one ?? caught the wheel arch when lowering the bonnet 

Pete

I went the whole hog removed the battery tray put the battery in the boot and mounted the PBR VH44 Servo along the bulkhead all tidy and there's space too, also fuses and extra fuse box easy to access,

Too late to go out and take photo can tomorrow

Servo makes it easier for daughter and wife to drive car.

Peter T