Can I avoid re-tracking if changing track rod ends?

Part of my many jobs this week on my Spitfire 1500 is replacing the track rod ends (both rubber boots split).  Is it possible to do this, with careful measurement to a point on the arm, and avoid having to get it re-tracked afterwards, or is it not really successful.  It's my first foray into track rod end replacement.  Thanks 

1 hour ago, badgerspitfire said:

Part of my many jobs this week on my Spitfire 1500 is replacing the track rod ends (both rubber boots split).  Is it possible to do this, with careful measurement to a point on the arm, and avoid having to get it re-tracked afterwards, or is it not really successful.  It's my first foray into track rod end replacement.  Thanks 

You can certainly do it for a rough starting point when reassembling; mark the steering arm then count how many turns it takes to remove the track rod end; the theory is that the same number of turns of the replacement part will take you back to the same point. From there you can fine tune as necessary.

Ok, trying to get the track rod ends off.  The nut comes off easily enough, and I've undone the locking nut on the steering side, but the track rod doesn't appear willing to come out of the housing.  I've hit it a few times with a hammer but no luck.  Grateful for any suggestions?  Heat, or try to "jack" under the nut to push it out?

Are you talking about the taper pin (ball joint to suspension arm, well known awkward bugger) or the track rod (from rack to ball joint)?

If the former, you need a ball joint splitter. Several types available.

If the latter, it "just" unscrews. Use plenty of PlusGas or similar and keep turning the housing, there's a LOT of thread in there. You may need to use grips on the track rod to hold it still - it does have a couple of flats but I've never found a spanner that fitted well enough to work.

Edit: The ball joint splitter I favour is this one

It's the bit right at the end of the track rod (steering arm to wheels, the one you adjust for tracking I think, right at the end where it connects just behind disc back plate).   I undid the bolt (underneath), but then it wouldn't knock out of the housing (needs to knock out vertically upwards).   I think I am going to invest in the ball joint splitter you recommend!

The pin from the ball joint on the track rod is tapered and fits in a tapered hole in the steering arm.

As said above, it will need a ball joint splitter to remove it. They often come apart with quite a bang if they're tight and haven't moved in a few decades!

Nigel

often a good solid whack with a 2lb hammer will jump the taper out but it needs to get the steering arm in  a position so when you really whack the end of the arm  (not the ball) 

that its more  solid and no bounce occurs  this gives the greatest reaction ,  ie  so you get a crack not a bong

Pete    , 

Finally got it done.  The first came off ok'ish.  The second was stubborn and a marathon into near darkness tonight.  Lots of tapping, heat, more hitting, and then in near desperation used another jack to put pressure on the bottom of the bolt while I tapped (and hit) around the outside of the housing.  Then it finally gave in and popped out.   Definitely using a splitter next time!  

not tapping   a right good whack on the hole it would have popped off.,  i do mean really give it a hard smack not with a toffee hammer 

you cant damage anything   nothing wrong with a splitter  , 

the hammer has worked for me for 50 years  theres no point   tickling a elephants back side with a feather .

Pete

great  .......... so tap was whack    

do recheck the track its easy , the new joints may not be the exact same dimensions as those removed 

but do get rent crowd to load the seats or you will not have it static this means errors when on the road . 

something most tyre places will not appreciate . 

also  very important when checking the rears  

Pete

2 hours ago, badgerspitfire said:

that really cheered me up this morning!   Yep, I had to give it a bit of a whack to persuade it to budge!

I hope you undid the locknut first? PItA doing it after. :( Put the taper back in hole with the nut loose if you haven't.

Tony.