Can anyone suggest help with Spitfire hire?

John D

Hello all! I'm a new member looking for help in hiring a Spitfire for a few days for my girlfriend's birthday between 25th and 27th June - I've tried a few hire websites and had one booking cancelled 😢 but haven't  had any luck with any others. I wondered whether any members had any suggestions or know where I could hire one? Her Mum used to drive a Mark 2 in the 60s and I'd love to surprise with hiring one for a surprise. I live in Leicestershire but happy to travel to collect. Many thanks for your help all - I'm hoping it sparks a desire to buy! 😍 best wishes, John

Many will disagree  with you, Graham!!

Welcome, my junior brother!     Mum & Dad really should have been more imaginative.

I agree with Pete.   You may have more luck at your local Area Group, if a Spitfire owner will lend you their car for her birthday.       'Hire' might be more difficult, as the stringent legal and statutory requirements will almost prohibit a one-off.   Would a visit by the owner in their pride'n'joy, to give Mum a ride, be a feasible alternative?

JohnD

• Thanks 1

As long as we keep it with a space ie JohnD and John D we're ok, although we could refer to John space and John no-space...

Back at work many years ago we had two Debbies, they were known as Debbie Does and Debbie Doesn't... smoke, that is.

I've searched a few Classic Car Hire firms on the Net, either they're closed due to Covid 19, or they don't have a Spitfire. (One has a Stag)

• Thanks 1

Rather glad that "John Does" or "Doesn't" won't work here!

Don't know if it can be done, but respectfully suggest you insert a hyphen, John D?    Like John-D?    A space is easily forgotten.

Or, of course, "JohnspaceD"?  Sort of Buzz Lightyear for the TSSC? "To confusion, and beyond!!"

I've been so accustomed to duplicate names (six Robs in my office, seven Toms, including both a Tom Roberts and a Rob Thomas) that I signed up to one forum as "one-of-the-robs"... only to be informed that there were no other Robs on that board!

3 hours ago, JohnD said:

There are only so many names.    Ever Googled yourself?   I just have and got 125,000,000 hits!

I'm always quite pleased to find that if you google my name you don't find me at all in the first 4 pages (maybe more, I haven't checked) or in any of the image search results...  Just the way I like it.