Itentity plates

Ian Cooper

Hi everyone.

I'm reassembling a 1970 Mk2 Triumph GT6 some of which I took apart and some of which a 'bodyshop' took apart about six years ago and they are no longer in business.

I have a bag with the identity tags in, the big one is obvious and is fitted on the passenger side beneath the bonnet, it's the main identity/spec plate for the car but the second plate I have no idea where it was taken from.

By the colour of it it must be a fairly clean location possibly on the inside of the cab area (possibly on the inner sill/footwell, both of which were replaced).

Has anyone got an idea where this goes please??

P1130768.JPG

Plates.jpg

P1130770.JPG

The small one goes in behind the big one; it's a hangover from the days when the commission plate (the large one) was a lot smaller, and the body plate (smaller one) sat parallel and below it. You should see the holes on the side of the bulkhead in two pairs one above the other; small body number goes first then the larger one is rivetted to the two holes above so that it covers it.

I was going to say it goes just below the big one. It certainly is on my 1967 Vitesse and, I'm pretty sure, my 1970 Spitfire. I don't recall whether the 1972 GT6 has a bigger commission plate so that it hides the body number, as Colin says.

The heritage certificate I obtained for my car lists the number on the small plate as 4) body number.

Saying that I expect factory records are not totally complete.

I believe that on some models the commision plate was so large that it did cover the body number, why didn't the factory drill the plate holes more central?

David

4 hours ago, Mad4classics said:

The heritage certificate I obtained for my car lists the number on the small plate as 4) body number.

Saying that I expect factory records are not totally complete.

I believe that on some models the commision plate was so large that it did cover the body number, why didn't the factory drill the plate holes more central?

David

Triumph factory records are largely complete - on your BMIHT Certificate you'll see them all even down to the key numbers, tyres and wheel size; certainly mine has a lot of info for GT6, Herald and even the TR7. My Herald has the diff and gearbox numbers recorded too.

DVA doesn't really use anything other than commission and registration numbers but if you look at the V5 you'll see many of them there too, engine number etc.

It's usually the chassis number that's not recorded, as it was for use only by the factory.

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Triumph factory records are largely complete - on your BMIHT Certificate you'll see them all even down to the key numbers, tyres and wheel size; certainly mine has a lot of info for GT6, Herald and even the TR7. My Herald has the diff and gearbox numbers recorded too.

DVA doesn't really use anything other than commission and registration numbers but if you look at the V5 you'll see many of them there too, engine number etc.

It's usually the chassis number that's not recorded, as it was for use only by the factory.

For my car I've got commission number, engine number (still has that) and body number; factory fitted equipment was heater and Dunlop C41 tyres. There's no record of key numbers, gearbox or back axle numbers.

David

ps. Just fished out my copy of Spitfire ang GT6 A Guide to Originallity; I notice on page 109 there's a comment about the MK1 GT6 commision plate being so large it covered the body number plate. MK3 plate is much smaller.

They can vary; mine (Herald) all have the key details of commission, engine and body numbers - but in addition some, not all, have heater, width of wheels, screen washer, disc brakes, seatbelts, and key numbers; the TR7 is more advanced with laminated windscreen, seatbelts, tyres and even dipping headlights.

I can't find the GT6 version  - for some reason it's gone off the wall and been replaced, must ask 'er indoors asap!! - but I've got another non-Triumph certificate with gearbox and rear axle numbers, and I know I was able to confirm the originality of my earliest Herald against records of the gearbox and diff numbers. I've a lot of old lever-arch files to rummage through, where's me coffee??

As long as it's displayed on the car, unless you're a stickler for originality and want it in the preferred factory position, it should be okay. If you do want to move it, just drill and rivet it to the other side of the bulkhead, and close the holes in the driver's side with a couple of rivets too.