Triumph GT6 Crankshaft anyone?

Qu1ckn1ck

The advertiser's description appears rather vague except for the part number which would definitely make it a 2.0 litre crank rather than a 2.5. litre crank.  The crate lid has the part number showing on the top line so long as the crate and crank belong together.

Looks like it needs a regrind on the Mains for sure, the Big end Journals don't look too clever either?

These used to be available from TD Fitchetts at Telford (I purchased one for the rebuild of my Mk2 Vitesse engine way back).

Not sure if they still have any left though?

On 08/07/2020 at 11:30, NonMember said:

I must say, to my eye the "light surface rust" looks like it will need more than a "light cleaning up"!

Agreed.  My (limited) experience with NOS cranks is that they may be production rejects and really need a grind to get them to properly match the bearings even when not rusty.  However if you happen to have a set of VP2 shells in standard size.......

Nick

1 hour ago, Nick Jones said:

My (limited) experience with NOS cranks is that they may be production rejects and really need a grind

Well, my experience of NOS cranks is extremely limited and dates back some 27 years... however, the one I bought from Fitchetts in 1993 showed all the signs of being a service replacement item in perfect condition - no wooden box but a BL / Unipart cardboard box and plenty of well-grease wax paper wrapping. The engine I rebuilt with it is still in my GT6 to this day and has required no further attention beyond regular servicing.

Whether there are any of that quality still kicking around NOS is a different matter!

• Like 1