Endfloat on front bearings

you can help us if you add what car you have  ....but H V S & GT6  

on a jack at the wheel tyre rim 0.002 "  gives approx 2 mm rock 

the end float spec is 0.002 to 0.008"     at 0.008"   there is a LOT of rock  and can push disc pads back .

its easy  knock out/prise   the hub cap , remove split pin,  tighten castle nut with LIGHT  finger effort on a spanner 

back the nut 1 to 2 flats insert new pin and refit hub cap  done 

Pete

We've had this befote , recently, but removingbthe hubcaps is best done bybusing a self tapping screw through the airhole on the tip.   Troublevis you need bigger and bigger screws every time you do it.   So best is to weld a nut over the hole.

28 minutes ago, JohnD said:

We've had this befote , recently, but removingbthe hubcaps is best done bybusing a self tapping screw through the airhole on the tip.   Troublevis you need bigger and bigger screws every time you do it.   So best is to weld a nut over the hole.

In 35 years of maintaining cars, I have never used a screw/bolt to remove the greasecap. I have always tapped it off using a screwdriver, often aided by previous owners dents! But never defeated. But I guess a welded nut would be straightforward for future use, but I really don't know anybody who uses it though. Nor seen a welded nut adaptation. Plenty of dented greasecaps though.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, JohnD said:

RIVNUT!  Brilliant, Pete!

If you have the rivnut tool, but that apples to welding too!

But as you well know JohnD you do not need a rivnut tool to fit a rivnut, but it does help especially inside a grease cap.

Adrian

Pete. I too have a similar problem. With the car on stands the front wheels have a definite loud  “knock” when rocked but a single additional hole on the castilated nut takes it all out and I’m concerned that it’s too tight

i presume it’s better to have lose wheels and risk an MOT failure ?

kevin

18 minutes ago, clive said:

I am probably imagining this, but isn't the stub axle drilled twice for the split pin, at 90 degrees to each other. So you can adjust the nut by half a flat?

That’s correct , mine has 90 degree flats 

Paul 

yes two holes 

If an MOT man fail it for float ( correct float)  then he is very wrong  

a modern with twin race cassette bearing has no float but floating hubs used by just about every make of the day has some float  the high temperatures changes from braking will

soon weld the outer race to the stub axle 

pete

unfortunate  ,  technology has overtaken history 

as the bearings are supposed to turn on the stub axle slowly to spread the impact wear so the inner track is never in the same place 

if you pre load them it will tend to spin at road wheel speed and the ££££ and $$$ fly out the window  when it picks up and seizes