Refitting rear of convertible roof. Tips

Jeffds1360

Before Twizzle, Torchy and Muffin there was the London to Brighton train ride. They strapped a camera on the front of a train and recorded the journey. Then with all the technology available at the time they SPED IT UP!!! So the journey took 5 minutes. It got played 5 or 6 times a day, in between the interludes. They don’t make TV like that anymore.

I’m torn with tyres, the recommendation these days is to replace them every 7 years no matter how little worn they are. Get good ones, but do you need top of the range?

Doug

11 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

London to Brighton train ride. They strapped a camera on the front of a train and recorded the journey. Then with all the technology available at the time they SPED IT UP!!!

Much more recently there was a film of the whole coast of Britain from the air. For that one, they actually strapped the camera on the back of the plane and ran the video backwards. It kept the lens free of debris and condensation.

12 hours ago, Jeffds1360 said:

Same question Colin?

New ones are Centara Vanti AS, replacing Kingstar on the Herald (they were £25 each but not available); we're talking low speed limited mileage so they're good for a few years.

The GT6 gets Firestone Multihawks at £49 each but goes slightly faster. 

7 hours ago, poppyman said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-155-80r13-81T-Pneus-Tyre-155-80-13-Two-Tyres-x2-MADE-IN-EUROPE/184119283032?fits=Tyre+Width%3A155|Aspect+Ratio%3A80|Rim+Diameter%3A13&hash=item2ade5d4d58:g:10kAAOSwEbBeFaRB

I have just put a set of these on my Dolly, they feel good but i am not a speed merchant any more :( Yes to old BW... Plus the fact living in the sticks and nice farmers cutting hedges and giving me punctures that are always in the sidewall i have given up on top brands. I have two on my modern as well.

Tony.

Looks like theyre remoulds which has always made me a bit wary😬

1 hour ago, johny said:

Looks like theyre remoulds which has always made me a bit wary😬

Appologies chaps, i really must clear my watch folder out.   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Brand-New-155-80-r13-Aptany-Budget-Tyres-155-80r13-Two-155-80-r-13-x2/183183098383?fits=Tyre+Width%3A155|Aspect+Ratio%3A80|Rim+Diameter%3A13&hash=item2aa690420f:g:na0AAOSwi0RbI7Nx

The others were worse than remoulds, they were re-treads no way would i fit them. The ones above are the correct ones. I will now try and delete that post. Thanks Johnny for pointing that out. Embarassed now.......

Tony. 

Joking about the Pneus tyres aside, I am a little concerned about the advertising from this company fir these tyres. One section says they are "A brand-new, unused tyre that has never been mounted on a vehicle" then lower down says that they are "brand new retread tyres". I always thought that retreads had been used before, hence retreaded, therefore not brand new, or is my understanding of the nature if retreads flawed?

42 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

I always thought that retreads had been used before, hence retreaded, therefore not brand new, or is my understanding of the nature if retreads flawed?

I think that retreads are used tyres that have had the old treads ground off completely then new added in the form of a rubber band that goes right round the tyre, so the centre bit would certainly have been used before - unless they're buying in cheap tyres with terrible (and possibly illegal in the UK) treads, and retreading them for UK / EU spec, so they might never have been fitted. Personally I'd still avoid them, though.

Just for the sake of interest (and a certain amount of devilment), I clicked on the fleabay list of tyre conditions and found this...

Item Condition

New - A brand-new, unused tyre that has never been mounted on a vehicle.

Retread - A used tyre that has had its old tread professionally buffed away and replaced with new rubber tread. See the seller’s listing for full details.

Used - A tyre that has been previously used, but remains in good working condition with sufficient tread remaining to comply with the seller’s local legal requirements for on-road use (if applicable). See the seller’s listing for full details.

Not Working - A tyre that is not operable and may require repair or service. See the seller’s listing for full details.

Trading standards anyone. Also looked at their feedback. If it is all genuine, then they have sold a lot of them, a couple of which appear to have exploded.

The tyres were on my watch as warning that retreads still exist, i really thought they had been banned.... The tyre company itself tread X are fairly local to me and offer a very good old school service and the best prices around which is why i use them. Next time i go there i will ask about the retreads, but i suspect it is for the Taxi trade of which there is always a queue.

Tony.

We have a few locals selling 'part worn' tyres; these are tyres from accident-damaged or scrap vehicles that are still perfectly serviceable. If you can pick them yourself you can avoid the ones that have seen heavy braking - usually just before the terminal accident - and check for damage, or even the age. I learned a while back to go for the spare tyre, which in many cases has never been fitted, and they're great value for my trailer.

yes I believe a lot of part worns come from abroad (Germany?) where the laws are tighter on when tyres have to be replaced. Ive had them before but found the life left in them deceptive especially on the front where the outer edges seem to go quite quickly. It was the same with retreads but here I think its the rubber used in the process as it might be softer so also wears quicker than expected... 

Just to re-kindle this one. I was reading through some of the feedback for thread-x-tyres and found this...

Tubeless tyres I had to fit tubes to because so misshapen. TERRIBLE SERVICE!!!!

1x 2x 4x NEW 145/80B10 Cross Ply 145r10 Starco Tyres 4ply 145 80 10 Car Trailer (#183150991442)

Buyer: v***v (320)

£59.99

Past 6 months

Reciprocal Feedback- View Feedback left by tread-x-tyres for the member who left Feedback for tread-x-tyres

Reply by tread-x-tyres. Left within past 6 months.  

These are CROSSPLY and come flat packed will take shape once fitted.

I am intrigued, as this is new to me, has anyone ever come across flat packed tyres before? Maybe Ikea??

14 hours ago, Badwolf said:

I am intrigued, as this is new to me, has anyone ever come across flat packed tyres before? Maybe Ikea??

Some makes of tyres do go out of shape BW, the sealing bands tend to flatten together as they are stacked. So the guy who fitted the tyres was probably diy....... You can get an adjustable ring that fits around the circumference of the tyre which helps. The main way the do it these days is to squirt brake cleaner into the tyre and drop a lighted bit of paper in. The resulting small explosion inflates the tyre to seal it :)  Hard to believe but it is a regular thing these days with cheap imports.

Tony.     

• Haha 1