Can’t remove track rod ends

• 2 weeks later...

Have you removed these before? By that, I mean are you experienced in mechanicing and you do know that the nut and the track rod end move in opposite directions? Sorry if that sounds insulting to your intelligence but I've seen it before, where new owners think the nut is the track rod end itself and so keep tightening it, thinking the whole thing should unscrew as one, thereby locking it against the other part and so they never loosen. They need to move in opposite directions, track rod end one way and the nut the other. Just checking!

I can't add arrows to your image to demonstrate - Mac Preview is messing me about - but the nut takes one spanner, and the flat bit just behind the balljoint takes another. Turn them in opposite directions, or else hold the TRE steady and loosen the nut, then you'll find that it should screw off if you keep the steering arm gripped tight, maybe in molegrips or the like.

68871E8A-E525-47E3-90DB-4349987BED95.thumb.jpeg.b67da1273a1f0c4fd62d4050073eb0e6.jpg.c88ab37e1aa329554321c000b9ca184a.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Good news thanks to a new pair of stilsons and another pair and plenty of force and grunting I have now managed to free the nuts and Renew the track rod ends now I can carry on putting all theothwt  bits back on now !!! 

Thank you for all your help and advice to a newbie at this 👍🏻

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Woody2000 said:

Good news thanks to a new pair of stilsons and another pair and plenty of force and grunting I have now managed to free the nuts and Renew the track rod ends now I can carry on putting all theothwt  bits back on now !!! 

Thank you for all your help and advice to a newbie at this 👍🏻

Great stuff nice to know that it is sorted..... Don't forget we were all a "newbie" at one point.....  :) 

Tony.

16 hours ago, poppyman said:

Don't forget we were all a "newbie" at one point.....  :) 

Tony.

Humm... How long does being a newbie last I wonder, I suspect it lasts several years.

In my case it did. For about 10 years when I was growing up I lived in a house on "Newby Road" ok different spelling but the effect was the same 

• Haha 1