Door Mirror

rulloyd

Long shot but I'm wondering if by any chance anyone has this particular make/model door mirror sitting around looking for a good home??  Unfortunately I realised after the door was sprayed (complete with fixing holes) that this particular mirror has a very long plinth with holes beyond the width of all (that I can find) similar bases available today.

I think it's a tex (magnatex) product.  The Plinth is 121mm long and the hole centres about 103mm.  Of course the exact model is not available anymore and the metal on mine is shot.  It must have been an aftermarket fitting and there is no model number on it.

Next option is to fill at least one of the holes and respray 😞

Than you

Rich

IMG_3125 (2).jpg

IMG_3126 (2).jpg

Is this one any use? Longest base I could find.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tex-Wing-Mirror-Base-Plates-Pair-Of-Complete-With-Fitting-Kit-See-Pics-Nos/174403124288?hash=item289b3c7c40:g:CZkAAOSwhZ5fMY1K

Possibly you've already checked the Tex website, but currently available arms and dimensions here:

http://texautomotive.com/classic_mirror_stems.html

Thanks Gav, Colin.

I'm investigating all options!

Yes, been on the tex site thanks.  All too short 😞

I didn't realise that my original is actually quite an expensive design (I guess) having two joints.  It's a shame not to have it rechromed but from previous experience it would be at least £100 and would take a couple of months. 

Welding up one of the holes may be the best option as I can do that quickly and cheaply.  Argggh...

• 2 weeks later...

Well I realised it was actually a Raydyot mirror.  So looked again on ebay and there to my surprise was the same unit in great condition!  The owner had put it on for £16 so I 'contacted seller'  and offered £35 - but they wouldn't accept saying Ebay would not stop the auction from running (never heard of that but hey).  Dissapointingly, there was already a bidder so I knew I had competition - but the bid sat at £17 right up the the ast 30 seconds when I added my bid (£32) and the price went to £21 "you are the highest bidder"- great I thought, I was prepared to pay £32 but I actually have to pay £21 - unlucky seller!!!!   THEN within the last 5 seconds, 5 more bids......   The mirror sold for £172!!!!!!!!!!!   FORTUNATELY, for me, I was the only one that noticed a Raydyot 'towing mirror' for sale a week earlier with exactly the same plinth / arm NOS and I had bought that a week earlier for £29.  I only wanted this second one for the actual mirror itself as the towing mirror head is different - but can get away with using my old mirror head.

£172 - great for the seller - somebody must have really wanted this!

image.thumb.png.e6f984bcc1cad5ed07b8ef3d6fa2bf18.png

Talking of expensive items, who bought this????  I was interested when it was £10 but then I realied that the early spit's / GT6 didn't have a number plate plinth! (well as far as I could see anyway).  Presume 14 people believe it is a rare part!image.png.f2be146a7182301a680184832fc117d3.png

15 minutes ago, rulloyd said:

Talking of expensive items, who bought this???? 

You jest!!! That's unbelievable. It's only a metal number plate backing plate with two bent brackets... but that mirror is also a fantastic final price. I've an entire box of wing mirrors, I was searching through them for one like yours and didn't realise I had so many. If that's the price I must list some.

23 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

You jest!!! That's unbelievable. It's only a metal number plate backing plate with two bent brackets... but that mirror is also a fantastic final price. I've an entire box of wing mirrors, I was searching through them for one like yours and didn't realise I had so many. If that's the price I must list some.

You sell that little lot at that price and you can have a gold plated Herald!

Karl

4 hours ago, Badwolf said:

That number plate mount is just like the one that I knocked up last year out of a piece of odd aluminium that was left over from an old cooker that I had scrapped and two reshaped offcuts for brackets. Obviously a market for them... hhmmmm???

Don't tell... go and sell!!

How many times have you bought something, opened the box and thought: "That's only two bits of metal stuck together... I could make that myself..."? :)

The ebay seller of the mirror updated me.   The buyer (at £172) contacted her apologising that they had accidentally put the decimal place in the wrong place.... 🤣🤣

However, the next highest bidder was £155 anyway.  For some reason she's relisted it rather than accepted the next best offer.

1 hour ago, rulloyd said:

The ebay seller of the mirror updated me.   The buyer (at £172) contacted her apologising that they had accidentally put the decimal place in the wrong place.... 🤣🤣

However, the next highest bidder was £155 anyway.  For some reason she's relisted it rather than accepted the next best offer.

Strange... wonder if it was a friend bumping up the bidding, so they can't sell it to them as next best?

15 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Strange... wonder if it was a friend bumping up the bidding, so they can't sell it to them as next best?

Something odd went on.  She's now told me that the second highest bidder didn't reply to her message.  She did say that the winning bidder (£172 ) in the same breath as his apology, did offer her £55 to take it off her hands!  

What amazed me as well was all 5 of the last bids were in the last 9 seconds!

image.png

It's been relisted again.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/c/13024687509

Incidentally: is this the same model as the one you need, but in black?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RAYDYOT-DOOR-MIRROR-FORD-AUSTIN-ROVER-HILLMAN-MORRIS-VAUXHALL-TRIUMPH/233726701622?hash=item366b327036:g:cDgAAOSwOhtfb5Wz

There's another one listed as taken from a Skoda Estelle:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-Estelle-1976-1990-Door-Mirror-Manual-passenger-Side-Raydyot/174274064812?hash=item28938b31ac:g:jH4AAOSw4i5esul5

I'm just wondering if it's the same foot which could be chromed?

On 19/10/2020 at 12:39, Colin Lindsay said:

It's been relisted again.

Hi Colin - thanks for all your research!  Yes, I saw those - but you may have missed my comment.  I actually bought one a week ahead of the £172 auction for £29.  Has a mint body but a different head.  However I can use the head off my old mirror which is not too bad.  I'm looking out for a new head, but I don't want to pay more than £20 for it 😉   Cheap ass!

I did get a rechroming quote for mine @ £100 but it would have to be filled..  The black ones may be around £50 to chrome I'd guess as they are probably good.   Interesting that they made it onto a skoda.  Tsk tsk....   😆😆

Again, thanks for looking, much appreciated.

Rich

11 hours ago, rulloyd said:

I'm looking out for a new head, but I don't want to pay more than £20 for it 😉   Cheap ass!

Thanks to your post, I dug out a few older Tex mirrors from Heralds and have cleaned them up, but reckon I need new glass for at least one... too tight to buy a complete head here, too...!

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

but reckon I need new glass for at least one...

A few years back, SWMBO had parked her Toyota Yaris near the station and came back from work to find some oik had stolen the driver's door mirror - just the glass bit, not the whole assembly. As we'd already had to replace the assembly once we were too tight to do so again. Instead I dug out a glass from a wing mirror off my old Herald and glued that in place. It's way too small but works and is still there.