Electric fuel pump

coxy123

I fitted Huco in my Vitesse . Positioned alongside the battery 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FUEL-PUMP-ELECTRIC-FOR-SUCTION-HUCO-133010-ENGINE-BAY-FITMENT/264031210689?

You will need an inertia switch like 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/First-Inertia-Switch-Vehicle-Crash-Sensor-Standard-Ignition-Electric-Fuel-Pump/402543089068?

works well for me 

.I’ve protected the pump with an inline filter and a visible glass filter before the carbs 

Paul 

If the fuel runs back behind the pump every time the valves are probably done; they should be one-way non-return and keep the fuel in the pipes. If you have a priming lever you can prime the carbs prior to startup and so save the battery; if you decide to keep the mechanical pump try to find one with the lever (although to be honest a replacement pump will probably remove the problem of fuel running back anyway...)

I suspect your problem is not the pump but the battery. How long does it take to "run out"? You should be able to crank for a full minute with a good battery, and the fuel will have got through by then unless your pump is completely shot. As an added bonus, a new battery will cost less than a replacement pump.

I also have a question regarding my fuel pump.  All of a sudden my pump has stopped working. Fuel is getting to the pump but no further. What is the cause internally in the pump.  Just curious, I will buy a replacement pump, or do I buy a repair kit and is it possible to fit the repair kit without taking the pump off the car.

thanks

Andrew

If it's stopped pumping is it: the lever has broken; the diaphragm has perforated, or: the valves are stuck. The pump is held on with two studs / nuts so easy to remove once you've removed both fuel pipes, and you'll probably have to remove it. If the lever is still there, (and look inside the body where the lever goes in to make sure it's still attached to the spindle of the diaphragm, it may just have unhooked) then it'll be something internal and you may be able to clear it if there's a single screw or nut on top. Undo that, have a look at what's inside. If you can't see anything obvious, then they're only held together with six screws. A kit will be a replacement diaphragm, an O-ring or two and in some kits a pair of valves. The diaphragm is a push/turn to lock fitting and the valves might be harder to replace but they're just a press-in fitting. There's also a brass filter in some, that can be clogged with debris. Take it apart, make a note of how everything fits together and it all goes back the same way. It may be something very simple, like a blockage in the valve or pipe; just clean it in petrol, wash the brass gauze out (carefully as they're not currently remade) and see if that improves things. If you need to replace a valve then press it out, they come out one from each side, but be careful on replacing them as you need to put pressure equally around the rim; a suitable-sized socket will help. It's not rocket science but first things first: remove it from the block and have a quick inspection.

FAB4D3C2-56FA-4C7F-B005-DA92384A821D_1_105_c.jpg.2ef09862d71ef2292014014a6c3abc52.jpg