Rear brake cylinder handbrake lever location

p7rider

Fitting new rear brake cylinder. I assume the pivot for the handbrake should be below the cast body , so that the cylinder can slide . As it is it will try to roll on the lever pivot.

More badly made parts? Should I send it back ? I assume others will be similar . I will machine the slot a bit deeper.

Screenshot_20210322-113852.jpg

That's a really poor profile. I would send it back, and alert the supplier that they're not up to standard. I had to nip out and check mine, then found out I've only got one for the Herald... but it's a boxed Unipart version and so the casting is much deeper - see photos.

4E0DC8D0-19CE-430A-8B3E-0379B542E808_1_105_c.jpg.f7caf6325ec1678890795fa8dacafac2.jpg  A75B59DB-3715-4F91-B027-96D7BA41911F_1_105_c.jpg.21bc00897317d30345b40e19d28bad34.jpg

The cylinder is NOS but the lever is the only one I could lay hands on so ignore the rust. I had a quick check online but most of the currently available ones look to have that same shiny, almost deformed, look. I did find one original NOS version so snapped it up on the spot... sorry but thanks for the heads-up that I didn't have a pair!  

The versions on James Paddocks website appear to be squarer round that end, so presumably deeper too.

Thanks Colin . They came from paddocks. It's reminded me to always look for NOS. I will reuse the original.  Now I've got it apart it looks o.k. why do we have this every time with parts. I'd much rather pay a couple of quid more for something decent.

1 hour ago, p7rider said:

Thanks Colin . They came from paddocks. It's reminded me to always look for NOS. I will reuse the original.  Now I've got it apart it looks o.k. why do we have this every time with parts. I'd much rather pay a couple of quid more for something decent.

Paddocks are always very good if a part is not right and are grateful to people pointing it out. I would phone them and send it back.

Alf.

39 minutes ago, Scrappy said:

Paddocks are always very good if a part is not right and are grateful to people pointing it out. I would phone them and send it back.

Alf.

I must admit that is why I use them repeatedly; I've never yet had a poor quality part from them but I'd have no hesitation in phoning and informing them. They're far more approachable and chatty than other suppliers.

The daughter was complaining that her Spit Mk2 brakes were lousy so just over a week ago i stripped the rears down after finding the LH seized, they were both Girlock 0.7in pistons, I only had one 3/4in new Girlock as a spare so I contacted Mick Dolphin who had 1 new Girlock 3/4in available, it arrived here in Aus in around a week very happy with that, good service. Ironically the Spit Mk2 should have been fitted with 3/4 in anyway, so all is right now.

I chose Girlock for exactly the reason mentioned ie the handbrake pivot pin is fully recessed & therefore ensures the slave cylinder can slide to centralize. I did check the condition of the slave before fitting as it was old NOS, the grease was dry so all cleaned out and lubricated and reassembled.

I can get Protec here 0.7in are reasonable but 3/4in are double the cost so it was cheaper to buy ex UK even with postage & Girlock to boot, Mick's always helpful and prompt. Also Protec I'm not sure if the recessed handbrake lever pin is fully recessed.

Had a reply from supplier . Asking to check against old one . Well I know the pivot sits below the casting . 2nd will it make any difference to the operation ? Well I'm not sure but would rather not knowing it's not right. 3rd all their stock looks the same. 4th they've sold hundreds with no complaints. However they are happy for me to return it . So do I machine / grind the slot a little deeper? It's tricky as it's a radius at the bottom with straight sides , so can't drop a milling cutter in .

the shape in the cyl  holds the pivot  position in place the load is mainly against the back plate 

having the pivot sit proud is either going to pitch the wheel cylinder  and it obviously cannot sit flush to the back plate

never mind if thats going to restrict the slide action that needs to be free. 

Dremel to clear would  work ,

wear in back plates does jam the slide and is probably more of an important fault 

and you were bright enough to spot the problem  Hats off for that,  many would not give it a thought  hence no complaints 

crap rear brakes and their adjustments causes a lot of low brake efficiency problems   

what with upside down shoes and all the other Oops!  its a simple and crude design and relies on all things nice to work as they should 

Pete

Received 2 Borg and Beck cylinders . The pivot sits lower but not below. The recess is cast very roughly .The pivot pin rocks sideways as well. I will clean them up and use them . I would say the advert photo didn't represent these items as they are cast the same as the others I had . The photo shows a much smoother finish , maybe originally forged and machined. Being a mould maker I would be ashamed of these . The moulds are long over due a service.

20210327_173337.jpg

I have a few differing types; those with a number cast into the side of the cylinder end appear to be better quality:

DSCF1238.jpg.a56d737cd72408444009bfb90f6a6304.jpg

The others have a large 'L' or other logo on the side of the cylinder body, but are more deeply moulded than that B&B version:

DSCF1235.jpg.e939085ba3045e4a0c6ab39d6624f5a6.jpg  DSCF1239.jpg.6c4b221a3b376e8bd8fb258f675248ed.jpg

I know B&B aren't the quality they used to be any more, for most of their products. The problem is that most retailers have a standard photo they use which often bears no resemblance to what you actually receive, so it's hard to know who to purchase from.