Problem with core plug removal

mbs2013

Yeah the car was part restored by the previous, previous owner and then most recently stored in a gazebo I think.

Only had a brief look at it today. Getting behind it is ok, but I can’t get anything in a position to put force behind it because of the bulkhead

Core plugs are not something I`ve had a lot to do with, I think the last was on Dad`s 1948? Hillman. Looking at the photo`s what you need is leverage. If you have a long(ish) "sacrifical" screwdriver I would be inclined to weld a bolt or rod across the driver close to the Tip (say about 1"?) that would improve the "purchase"?. Once you "crack" the join, it should come easy.

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

Good news! I've finally got the plug out. It took a lot of chiseling (and a now broken chisel) but it started to give at the bottom which forced the top to come loose. It was then easy the remove. New one now in place but haven't had chance to check the seal as I've got to put the radiator back in first. Will be one for the weekend I think.

Thank-you everyone for your advice.

20210512_111101.jpg

20210512_120032.jpg

• Like 2

Good news but, and sorry to be a right pain, wont the new one go in just a little bit more? I can see its been difficult as space is tight but if the plug edge was a mm inside the hole it would be perfect. Could a socket that fits snuggly inside the plug be used to push it a bit further...

18 minutes ago, johny said:

Good news but, and sorry to be a right pain, wont the new one go in just a little bit more? I can see its been difficult as space is tight but if the plug edge was a mm inside the hole it would be perfect. Could a socket that fits snuggly inside the plug be used to push it a bit further...

I'll give it a go. I had read that one then completely forgot so went with the piece of wood. It was a very tight fit to get it in that far, thus the raggedy edges.

16 hours ago, johny said:

Ive even been known to use a sissor jack in a situation like that - pushing off the bulkhead with a packer to apply a steady pressure to the socket😵

Interesting... will consider that one in future.

17 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Edges are a bit raggedy on that one, it's been battered into place. As Johnny says a good socket of the correct size will push it into the block / head or else put a flat metal face over it and hammer that. Looks neater!

You'll need to clean up those ragged edges before trying to tap it further in.

20 hours ago, johny said:

Same head on my late 1200, and the core plug looks to fit tight to the edge and no further in. The smaller one goes back further; you can see the lip round it.

A18E669B-6686-4EC7-B587-1B758C120F51_1_105_c.jpg.1c37561a1d889cd1adfae39292e51d25.jpg