Weird track rod end

On a General Thread re fuel pump leaking oil I referred to the fact I’d have to replace the Sprints track rod ends as the boots had split.

So checking my new spares I had two sets one set with grease nipples as original fitment. I use a standard nut to pull the taper up tight before replacing with the lock nut I didn’t have a suitable nut on checking the taper thread as it is metric 10mm dia with 10threads per cm or 1 thread per mm whereas the normal GSJ158 is 3/8in dia.

The steering rack thread on the track rod end input is the correct imperial 1/2in dia with 24tpi.

Has anyone seen this mixture of imperial and metric threads on an aftermarket track rod end. I brought these as they had grease nipples they came from a major UK eBay supplier who I’ve never had issues with, they are usable but the mixture of metric/imperial surprises me.

its pretty common to make a generic unit into specific to suit particular models when the base product is  from a universal family 

ball joints are a good start the taper is standard Sae   the taper nut fixing doesnt matter the rack fixing is dedicated to what you want it to fit 

some might lose sleep over this sort of mix but ... do we care ???

i would be more concerned we have some sensible quality in the joint and the boots 

Pete

They are equipped with grease nipples so frequent greasing should help longevity, the boots well I’ve found replacement boots don’t last so that could be a problem!

The second set I have are Stanpart originals but sealed for life I was saving those for the daughters Spit or the Vitesse.

Even after years of storage the boots on both sets appear to be very good with no signs of deterioration. 

Thanks everyone I’ll use them on the Sprint, the only issue now is finding a 10mm dia fine thread 1mm pitch nut to use temporarily to pull and lock the taper so I can then replace it with the lock nut.

There’s always something the Bolt Bar. Will have them so I need to think what other nuts and bolts I want as It’s a min $10 purchase.

12 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

can you beg borrow an impact wrench that would take a nyloc type nut up ok

Pete

I Missed out on the recent Lidle Offering. £60ish was (I thought) a damn good price.😭

Pete

PeteH. If you have a few Lidls in your area it would be well worth going out for a joyride around them. I have found several interesting items in their shelves well after the weekly listings. I am lucky, I am in the Lidl epicenter, 5 branches within a 6 mile radius. Once I needed 20 folding tables for a local charity, they only had five at each branch....yes you guessed it, but I only found out that they were in stock well after the weekend offer so it wasn't a case of taking all the stock so no one else could get any.

when homebase got bunnings take over they cleared a lot of Guild brand stock there was a pile of 1/2 drive impact guns at £6  

being in silly  oap  mode i only bought one ....................then went back to bag a good deal at a club meet but they had already been snaffled 

lithium battery unit its worked well and overtaken my old battery unit  real value for money 

Pete

Found this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313491502478?epid=11045640477&hash=item48fd8cb58e:g:oXkAAOSwd1tgdZ9~

worth a search for others. Uses their excellent 20v battery system. If you already have the batteries you can buy a naked one (no I am not on the wrong web-site...for once) for £40

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133717526482?hash=item1f222f87d2:g:h8AAAOSwOO1gbOZr

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

when homebase got bunnings take over they cleared a lot of Guild brand stock there was a pile of 1/2 drive impact guns at £6  

being in silly  oap  mode i only bought one ....................then went back to bag a good deal at a club meet but they had already been snaffled 

lithium battery unit its worked well and overtaken my old battery unit  real value for money 

Pete

Loved bunnings, loved the sale when it went back to homebase. Bought up alot of aeg tools and battery's.  The tools have been great for all the work on the car and house, but i do miss bunnings and would want to get the 9ah battery! For the chainsaw.

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

our HB has been turned into a boutique diy shop all islands you cant walk the aisle and nip down to find the fandango you need its now all over the place 

awfull experience 

Pete

Don't knock it, at least it's still open. And miles better than that dreaded wooden counter with the little man in the brown shopcoat with the wooden face who would tell you: "how do you expect me to find it if you don't know the name of it?"

Bunnings is very big here in Aus in fact a household name they do carry a lot but not Auto stuff, we also have 2 smaller hardware chains and we also had the US Masters chain who came in big to knock Bunnings off but failed miserably and went defunct pity as they carried a lot of auto hardware split pins circlips clevis pins etc of all sizes in fact drawers and drawers of all sorts of mech fittings very handy and I stocked up when they had a fire sale.

Bunnings original cheap but very good battery drill equipment wasGMC but something happened and they were out it’s now Ozito (5yr replacement warranty) I understand GMC are now in Europe, Masters sold a rebadged GMC range and the son stocked up with a full range of their battery tools when they closed and replacement batteries I’ve sourced from France for him.