Wintertime top is here :) now need storage hoist

Jeffds1360

After a bad start in my hunt for a hardtop,  a member (Roger) came up trumps.

What a wrapping artist he is (not rapping!)

Have a look at these pics. ( I hope 7 is ok to load?)

20210517_130436.jpg

20210517_130512.jpg

20210517_130617.jpg

20210517_131111.jpg

20210517_132246.jpg

20210517_155446.jpg

20210517_155510.jpg

Edited by Jeffds1360
Added 'hoist'
  • Like 1

It's like a different car with that on!

A few creaks from it but unfortunately it magnifies the other rattles, squeaks and knocks :)

not that I have any worrying ones!

inside temperate shot up to 16C, it was only 14 outside AND the windows streamed up!

Speaking of windows, it's a bit of a problem shutting doors if they are fully up as the hardtop is a couple of mm low there. The seal is excellent,  so much better than the soft top. 

I have a warning buzzer I fitted in the boot, for the indicators,  boy is that loud now! Must stick some tape on it.

Reet, wip it off and hang it in garage, ready for winter time :)

I bought one from e bay years ago,went down to Bournemouth from Surrey in my Vitesse and drove home with it on.That`s the only time it was on the car.

Just never bothered again and use the hood if absolutely necessary,even on the RBRR 2012 in October when it  was p`ing down and freezing i just used the hood.

It now hangs from my garage rafters on bungy straps gathering dust.

16 hours ago, Steve P said:

I bought one from e bay years ago,went down to Bournemouth from Surrey in my Vitesse and drove home with it on.That`s the only time it was on the car.

Just never bothered again and use the hood if absolutely necessary,even on the RBRR 2012 in October when it  was p`ing down and freezing i just used the hood.

It now hangs from my garage rafters on bungy straps gathering dust.

That's part of why when a 3-piece "targa" top came up for sale for my Spitfire I bought it.

I want a hardtop in case we do drive it in mildly bad weather but I don't have a wall/ceiling with enough space plus I wanted it to be a one person job.

The rear is mounted the same as a standard hard top and the "targa" tops are mounted on the hard top fronts with screws and bolts (I will try to swap them for wing nuts) and on the read part of the hard top.

The removable sections fit behind the seats or in the trunk/boot.

The guy who sold it to me said the previous owner complained of noise (whistling) but we will see when I get around to mounting it.

It is also a type of fiberglass/plastic so it won't rust...

I am thinking of getting one of the ceiling mounted canoe storage hoist things. The theory being that you just lower it into place..simples. I do fear that it will not actually be the case, but as least it is a part of the garage with no clutter, yet. Yes, I do appreciate what will be under it if it comes down in a rush!!! Unfortunately I will have to resite some of the floro tubes.

Mine too will be getting hung soon. I might even draw and quarter it !

My tub is a bit stretched and my windscreen top seems to be 1/4 inch out of alignment.  My windows also are too high. Note to anyone fitting a hard top..... wind windows down before shutting doors ! :)

Does the rib on top of the screen go behind the rubber seal on the hardtop? Is there a slot behind in the hardtop for it to go into?

it's a 3 man job to fit and there was only one of me :(

it is a great top mind, completely changes the whole experience.  Not sure yet which experience I prefer though.😁

Yes, the suspension thing would be good, you could lower it remotely whilst sat inside, lining up the 'screw holes and getting the windscreen seal in line, then tighten the bolts one by one, ensuring alignment. 

Without that, you need someone outside each side and one inside to get perfect alignment and then tightn up and ensure, in my case, that the J bolts do not pull it off line!

I was in out in out a dozen times and cannot get perfect alignment yet.

I'll get a couple of pictures as she is out in the rain now.

Can you see what I mean? Not even sure if the front seal is sitting correctly on top of the windscreen.  I need to lift it to see which means undoing the J bolts and therefore need to realign it again!!! :)

16215130253594274400098216559059.jpg

16215130802932510834122395203385.jpg

Ref 1 man job, a fellow club member here does his Stag hardtop by himself using an electric winch and forward/reverse rail plus a traverse system mounted from the roof of his carport, it's the same equipment used in hospitals to pick up and move patients. He is lucky he runs a business installing same in hospitals and aged care facilities.

I did an article for our Club Mag I'll see if I can find it. Found it and attached

Jeffs Car Hoist.jpg