1980 Spitfire revival

Good progress today. Got the new (2nd hand) starter in and it spins super fast now, filled and bled the brakes. This took a while as the whole system was new.

The new floats have cured the flooding issue.

Seat 1 stripped awaiting new foams,boards, foam, covers (due this week). Houndstooth black.

Engine idles a little lumpy but will run it a bit before refining.

And the sun is out! 

5BC664EF-AB40-470B-BCD4-3A3F793A51C0.jpeg

E3832C02-31B2-4846-BB54-F96A8C9B036D.jpeg

CDCC1805-5822-45D1-AF66-B4E569101332.jpeg

6EA69952-B3EA-404D-BC2A-867C46006D58.jpeg

Spoke too soon! Front carb still flooding despite new needle valves and float. As soon as the engine is revved up. Slightly baffled as the fuel pump should be fine as Roger ran it on his car. It has the correct spacer. May swap back in one of the old valves to see what happens. 
At least explain the slightly lumpy idle. 
Perhaps the pin that holds the float needs replacing for a new one? 

Well I’m baffled! How do you get a new gator over the handbrake? Expertise very welcome! 
Engine side panels on. These are 2nd hand but have had a coat of blackboard paint. Using what I’ve got on the shelves. 

8DAC9504-0906-497D-9D5C-83D637057B9B.jpeg

C5E883C7-13D8-4D9E-96F1-619AC3B160FA.jpeg

B7CFC749-832A-445B-B4E8-BABA14348D7A.jpeg

unless someone's glued it on the grip does pull off, the daughters Mk2 Spit had the later grip as yours I pulled it off and replaced with the earlier thinner unit, I've also replaced the Vitesse's with a new old style grip just to look cleaner & new.

Hi All, 

it’s seat time! Question for experts please. On the seat pad cover there are two straps inside. Presume to make the crease fit. Should these go through the foam? No slit in the foams. Thought best ask before I cut them. 
Going to look a lot better. When I bought the car (blind) the interior was described as ‘surprisingly well preserved!’ 

FAB74D71-57CE-4A69-91A8-B4FD70F633F6.jpeg

336CD3AE-83E2-4040-890C-396D5F819889.jpeg

Mine (from Park Lane) did not have anything like that on the seat base cover. The covers were very close to the ones I removed in design with a fabric panel to tension the crease above the fluted section on the seat back. 

I suppose the houndstooth panels might need slightly different treatment / support on fitting than vinyl or leather given they’re a cloth type material. What do the instructions with the covers say? With my leather ones I had to glue the square-ish section where you actually sit to the foam, and then the rest of the cover was pulled round and cable tied to the wire basket part. Couple of WIP photos here 

which might help, though there’s not really anything detailed about the steps you’re talking about. 

Well here it is. Finished after 5 years. Still a few niggles (front carb floods after switch off despite new viton valves, may reduce float height more).

Back in 1988 (I was 19) I went to a beach party at Budleigh Salterton. Someone had a white, overdrive, 1500.  I wanted one but bought a non overdrive rust bucket WNE 963S (scrapped or in a garage?). Drove it for 7 years and it never worked for more than two weeks without an issue.

So I decided to build myself the Spit I always wanted.

Thanks to everyone for their advice and support. 
Going to enjoy this! 

F77CB50B-146B-4012-A3F8-2CED2AE06171.jpeg

FD03A9BD-F12C-41D0-BD85-D00819D30407.jpeg

D12606DE-9470-4E88-AE09-113EFE01B3CA.jpeg

656EE6E6-120C-4FE0-A670-590DFECAC0EE.jpeg

51B0F8BD-5173-4A50-A5E2-7FB4CFFD35BF.jpeg

DF143C07-BED5-4591-BEFB-26C418D60BA7.jpeg

• Like 7

That's a great looking Spitfire, I love the wheels👍

I can remember the owner of our local Newsagent having one brand new same colour and year, I used to see it parked outside when going to school and then work, I wonder if that car is still around?

You've done a cracking job, Enjoy😉

Gary  

Just driven it. It’s fantastic! Goes really well. Brakes need bleeding again as they are a bit spongy (to be expected as all new) and I’ve somehow got the drivers seat in slightly lopsided by having too many layers near the tunnel.

Every is working first time out. All gauges, heating, overdrive, the lot! 

So, my final question to the experts…what type pressures for modern 170/70s? The old sorts used to be about 22 but that seems crazy low! 

yes mdern tyres seem to like higher pressures than the 1970's 

the trouble is on our old uns the tyre does a lot of the suspension work on a modern the tyres are firmer and the suspension does all the work

I think mdern tyres are made to suit this evolution and therefore around 30psi keeps the tyre stable without 

making pot holes into bullet shots and contains good cornering 

its all down to preference and a bit of trial and error to find what suits 

the weight of car is in the case of a spitty much less than a modern but also the load in the boot all affects

feed back from hard tyre pressures   

its do what suits your car and your driving style 

Pete

I find 30psi makes the car skittish. Our cars are very light compared to modern stuff.

The other issue is I have no idea how well calibrated my pressure gauge is. My PCL (very pukka, but probably quite old) inflator gives a different reading to my halfords (made by sykes) pressure gauge I carry in the spit. As to the little inflators, they vary by about +/- 5psi. Hence I carry the one gauge I know at 25psi is ideal.