Any concerns with shortening the gear lever?

DVD3500

If memory serves the gear lever in 4th gear is very close to the hand brake when it's activated.

As we plan on letting the dog go in and out of the car I am thinking of shortening the gear lever by 2-3 inches.

A guy is selling a shortened one but he wants 50€ for it and I am not sure why I can't just lop mine off and re-thread it...

I don't remember the Spitfire being particularly hard to shift so I am not worried about leverage...

Thoughts?

Assuming this is non-od gearstick? 

The stick is thinned a little for the threaded section (I think) but in principle no reason why you cannot cut and rethread though you may need to file it slightly smaller diameter?

I have shortened gearsticks several times, always by cutting/welding, that is effective. Had my first one break, but that was in the early days of welding, a good lesson learnt.

On my T9 gearbox I have a stick that is less than 1/2 the length of the sierra one. It works fine but can fee stiff when cold. I did try a quickshift too, but that was just difficult. 

Spitfire lever is quite a bit longer than the GT6 lever. GT6 one is nicer.

I’ve significantly shortened/altered the levers on my Herald 1500 (single rail Spitfire box), my Dolly 1850 and my 2.5PI. The Vitesse lever is a combination of Herald 948 (complete with grey knob) and Toyota Supra activating a Supra gearbox. My GT6 lever is a heavily modified MX5 one operating an MX5 box......

It’s not rocket science, but does need to be robust...... driving round using mole grips as a gear lever isn’t ideal..... 

Nick

I take it that its a single rail gear lever ('72 Spit) so cant be changed with a GT6 item but will be easier to cut and rethread as the stem isnt tapered. The only problem might be the thermal/vibes block half way up that will limit how much can be cut off....

Is there not an issue with the spitfire stick and clearance to the dash/H frame? 

I am working from memory, but I think the spitfire stick is more angled, to bring it away from the dash. The GT6 one is straighter, as the stick emerges from the tunnel a bit further back. (all worth checking)

Thanks for all the info.

While the car is a '72 I had Mark Field build me as robust a 1500 box as he could and send it over just before 31 Dec.

In my old '72 you couldn't access the radio in 3rd  or 1st gear but that was because the "bend" didn't start until much farther up (again if memory serves..)

I had assumed GT6 levers were the same.

I can't really tell from the Canley pictures but I guess the GT6i s just shorter with the same bend?

My usual approach to the single rail gear sticks is to chop out the insulating lump in the middle and weld the two ends together.

Not tried it with the Spitty 1500 version (cut down a Dolomite one for my Herald) but looks like it could work.

well I think theres good and bad news then:

Your lever isnt tapered so you can just cut off a bit and re-thread the end. However the thermal/vibration barrier tube is not far below so you wont be able to shorten the lever a lot....

Hmmm … ok . I don’t have a lever at all… or maybe Mark gave me a used one…. Been a while… 

i am hoping to get maybe  1 to 1.5 /2 inches cut off …

should give more space between the hand brake and the gear lever .

i reckon the dog will perch herself on the hand brake cushion/ arm rest and I don’t want her hitting the gear lever with her nose… :) 

No OD. I didn’t want the added complexity. We have the care tweaked to nearly 100 bhp and 110 lb/ft of torque so reckoned getting a 3.27 Diff would be close enough to OD.

i plan more on cruising and not accelerating like a rocket…

10 hours ago, DVD3500 said:

i reckon the dog will perch herself on the hand brake cushion/ arm rest and I don’t want her hitting the gear lever with her nose… :) 

Not a dog lover, but wouldn't see one hurt, presumably you use a seat belt so why not the dog.

Regards

Paul