bodger

9 hours ago, Badwolf said:

Even with an MOT from a garage that did serious work on the car to get it though the test

I think the word "even" in that sentence is erroneous. I'd much rather trust an MOT done by a garage who only did the MOT and had no expectation of getting any repair work. Those who are assessing their own work will pass it when it shouldn't, and those expecting to get a nice fat cheque for repairs will fail what shouldn't (and quite possibly miss the things they don't like doing).

12 minutes ago, NonMember said:

I'd much rather trust an MOT done by a garage who only did the MOT and had no expectation of getting any repair work. 

A big 'Hello' to the Tyre Fitters in Dumfries who fitted two front tyres to our Freelander last month. "When is this car due a service?" the fitter asked me, "the front pads are poor." Sadly I didn't have time to wait while he did the job; got home, bought front pads and went to fit them only to find the pads are fine and far from poor. There's months left on them, not even half-way worn. I wonder how many just take his word for it?

I used to get that from the Peugeot garage when I had the 306. "brake pads low, need replacing" I bought the pads and NO, they didn't need replacing. :angry: They did 3 more years. Also  "shock absorbers weeping need replacing" when I moved to Twyford (jumping metropolis of the South) I asked the new MOT man if he was happy with the shocks "Yeh, they all do that, no problem"

Doug

Looks like we’ve got our very own “me too” movement here!

Had the same with my BMW 5-Series, “Next time you’re in front pads, and disks probably, will need doing”. “Just letting you know so it doesn’t come as a shock”.

Almost two years later all is still well at the front.

1 hour ago, NonMember said:

I think the word "even" in that sentence is erroneous. I'd much rather trust an MOT done by a garage who only did the MOT and had no expectation of getting any repair work. Those who are assessing their own work will pass it when it shouldn't, and those expecting to get a nice fat cheque for repairs will fail what shouldn't (and quite possibly miss the things they don't like doing).

I don't want to be unnecessarily pedantic but please quote the whole sentence, not just the bit that suits your point.....

Quoted...

1 hour ago, NonMember said:

Even with an MOT from a garage that did serious work on the car to get it though the test

Actual sentence...

11 hours ago, Badwolf said:

Even with an MOT from a garage that did serious work on the car to get it though the test, you still can't trust the MOT

Thanks

12 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

I don't want to be unnecessarily pedantic

If you didn't want to be unnecessarily pedantic, you wouldn't complain about something that isn't relevant. I wasn't questioning the "can't trust", I was questioning the use of "even", for which the rest of the sentence makes no difference, or possibly supports my point further. So you fail the pedant test.

• Haha 1

Salvage Hunters Classic Cars was on early this morning, the episode with the Fiat 500. It's been off the road for five years with serious corrosion issues.

The narrator stated: "Although the car failed MOT five years ago, it's now MOT exempt, so the boys are able to take it for a test drive."

REALLY? I don't think so, or we're all in trouble if you can just wait until a car reaches 40 then put it back on the road regardless of the last failure...