Grease gun

Iain T

1 minute ago, Iain T said:

This is my rear brake setup. There is a square adjuster at the back which seems to be on a small cam as it keeps springing back. Is this a manual or self adjusting mechanism? 

Manual adjuster. Keep adjusting up, 1/4 turn at a time until it locks solid, then back off until the drum can rotate without binding. I find pressing the brake pedal helps keep the shoes central. (all with drum fitted)

4 minutes ago, clive said:

Manual adjuster

Thanks Clive, I'll have another go tomorrow. I didn't want to keep turning as it didn't seem to do much. To test I turned the square adjuster at the back and the shoes just seemed to expand then go back as it 'sprung' back off what sounded like a cam. 

4 minutes ago, Iain T said:

the shoes just seemed to expand then go back

Yes, it's a square cone so that the pressure of the shoes on the cam holds it in place. You only ever adjust by quarter turns. The shoes push out in between rest positions but don't return to quite the same point as the cone is further in or out than it was a quarter turn away.

4 minutes ago, NonMember said:

Yes, it's a square cone so that the pressure of the shoes on the cam holds it in place. You only ever adjust by quarter turns. The shoes push out in between rest positions but don't return to quite the same point as the cone is further in or out than it was a quarter turn away.

Aaaah that's how it works thanks! So winding in pushes the cone out? 

yes when getting to really locking the drum it will take a good effort to rotate the adjuster cam over the next high

so give it some shreaded wheat till it turns no more  then after  lock up normally one turn( 4 cam clicks)  will free the drum 

if it is 3  or 6 doesnt ,  matter 

feeling  a light rub with the wheel on is ok 

pete

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

so give it some shreaded wheat till it turns no more  then after  lock up normally one turn( 4 cam clicks)  will free the drum 

if it is 3  or 6 doesnt ,  matter 

feeling  a light rub with the wheel on is ok 

All done! A simple job when I have the help of the Gurus! I couldn't believe how many flats it required to bind the wheel. Applied the brakes to centralise then backed off three flats and both wheels rotated free. Big, dare I say huge, difference to the foot pedal travel and feel. The handbrake is solid after 3 clicks whereas before it was almost vertical! 

I feel much safer stopping now I have sorted the judder and brake adjustment. Being able to stop is fundamental, the first thing they teach at ski school is not to go fast but how to stop! ⛷️

Cheers🍻

Iain