Trunnion removal

Iain T

Opposite us a Burmese cat resides must be nearly 20 now as our Fox Hound lasted till 16 and they arrived around the same time, anyway they had a married type of relationship ie love and hate, sometimes they would get up close and sniff each other like rub noses, other times our Kimy would lunge at the cat or the cat take a swipe at Kimy, we never understood why the change in attitude, thought it might have been if the cat did it's business in our front garden, & Kimy either saw it thro the front windows or sensed it!

Getting back on topic re trunnions I soldered the bottom washer into the brass trunnion to stop it draining out the oil ie keeps a reservoir of oil in the trunnion. I use a converted oil can BUT I had to modify the grease nipple as the spring in the nipple was too strong I dismantled the grease nipple cut  a smidgen off the spring to reduce its strength reassembled the grease nipple ensuring the ball in the nipple still seals but the oil can can push the oil thro OK. A lot of faffing about but I have only had to do it twice ( 2 cars)

11 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

Getting back on topic re trunnions I soldered the bottom washer into the brass trunnion to stop it draining out the oil ie keeps a reservoir of oil in the trunnion.

Others have suggested this, so going to Colin's photos on page 1 of this topic just run some solder around the joint shown on the first photo? 

Iain 

Iain here's a photo of a  spare vertical link I have with a brass washer soldered in, the original trunnion was damaged so I removed the steel washer and inserted a brass one, but on the actual car fitted units whilst the trunnion was off the car the steel washer was cleaned to remove any oil or corrosion, fluxed and soldered to seal.

One trunnion the steel washer was quite heavily corroded and took some serious mechanical cleaning and well fluxing to get the solder to take.

Don't know if JB Weld would succeed.

Soldered Trunnion Base.JPG

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Peter Truman said:

Iain here's a photo of a  spare vertical link I have with a brass washer soldered in, the original trunnion was damaged so I removed the steel washer and inserted a brass one, but on the actual car fitted units whilst the trunnion was off the car the steel washer was cleaned to remove any oil or corrosion, fluxed and soldered to seal.

One trunnion the steel washer was quite heavily corroded and took some serious mechanical cleaning and well fluxing to get the solder to take.

Don't know if JB Weld would succeed.

Soldered Trunnion Base.JPG

I used JBWeld on one trunnion base , no oil leak so far , 4 years now 

Paul