Triumph Gt6 mk3 - 2nd and 3rd gear noises

Joanna K

and that will make some amazing clacks and bangs  you just dont hear with the tunnel on 

back to refitting , to make sure you have the box/rear engine plate all aligned  i use any odd bit of timber as a gauge in the gap when its nearly on but wont quite slot fully on just gives a sight of how well you have the gap aligned   just looking is deceiving

two long studs in the top of the block can help with the initial line up 

Pete

if that was on my shaft  i can only deny everything  !!!

sorry not aware of any history on the shaft its from a long time ago 

the splines are not that hard and can be fettled  with a small file    

just protect the oil seal with a card tube or similar 

and a fettle of the coupling  splines may help 

Pete

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

if that was on my shaft  i can only deny everything  !!!

sorry not aware of any history on the shaft its from a long time ago 

the splines are not that hard and can be fettled  with a small file    

just protect the oil seal with a card tube or similar 

and a fettle of the coupling  splines may help 

Pete

No worries Pete, got a really small file today from toolstation and it solved the problem 

2 hours ago, johny said:

Unusual, I wonder if the rear flange has been loose or something...

You are probably right Johny

19 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I've just spent half an hour on eBay.... the prices are unbelievable, and the rustier, the more expensive... :(

Folk thinking "Rareity Value" = High Price?. That 12/50 is In my view a typical example?.

Pete

2 minutes ago, Mathew said:

The prices some people expect are, the prices they fetch not so. Picked up a hard top for the spitfire, 50 pounds, needs a little work but not too much. It had previously sold for 150 but the buyer did not go through. Seen the same items put up for 200 in worse condition and not sell, then up for sale again and again, still not selling.

We are only drifting while we wait for the finished gearbox pictures.

I was going to take some today, however my phone battery died… 

The gearbox is in, as well as the refurbished propshaft (I had it done in Bristol). So far so good (touch wood)

thanks again for your support and help with the parts!!

I will keep you posted

Ref prices a friend of mine ho has a fleet of concour classics says " its only worth what someone is prepared to pay", he who has TWO TR4 Alloy Surrey roof assemblies, and doesn't even use them, in fact the soft top is seldom used!

Spitfire prices appear to be going thro the roof here in Aus, 12 months ago a vgc model would have been $15k, today there are around 4 examples for sale supposed top quality and their asking $28 to $35k for, as said there only worth what someone is prepared to pay & I think they'll be hanging around for a long time!

Because I`ve had a "personal issue" that has kept me out of the garage this last week. I had a couple of days "binging" the T-V. Amongst it a whole series of Bangers and Cash. What was most interesting, apart from the eclectic selection of vehicles, was the prices many expected for their vehicles, Some nice stuff fetching fair prices but few actually reaching the reserve?. but the odd one would go mental?.

But the Farmer, with up to 200 cars in his barns,????? (Shakes Head) "I like "evo`s"" (He`s got 6!!!)

Pete

2 hours ago, thescrapman said:

In about 5 years time the prices of secondhand cars is going to start to climb, with performance cars going through the roof, as people want a slice of petrol power before they can't get one new.

I think the petrol price will have to ramp up significantly over the same period which might reduce peoples interest in combustion cars. Troubles going to come for the less well off so maybe each person will have to have a quantity allowance of petrol at a lower price? In fact that could be the first step on our way to the Communist system which I think we're going to need to sort this mess out😲 

4 minutes ago, johny said:

Communist system

Having watched the mess the Russians made of it?. The state of China?. Hitler couldn't achieve it in the end.  I hardly think that will sort anything out. Bottom line, sadly, is you are fighting human nature.

Pete

So: we ramp the price of petrol up to where people can't afford it, in order to move them to electric cars, which they also can't afford. Seems logical.

Back when I was much younger the 'less well off' didn't have cars, probably due to the fact that they couldn't afford them. They just adjusted their lifestyles accordingly. No doubt the car will soon become a 'yooman right' and schools will have to fill up the parents' cars at the gate. 

6 minutes ago, PeteH said:

Having watched the mess the Russians made of it?. The state of China?. Hitler couldn't achieve it in the end.  I hardly think that will sort anything out. Bottom line, sadly, is you are fighting human nature.

Pete

Dont forget Communism doesnt have to be a dictatorship and also it usually comes about when theres a big difference between the haves and have nots which looks like where we could be heading...

7 minutes ago, johny said:

Dont forget Communism doesnt have to be a dictatorship and also it usually comes about when theres a big difference between the haves and have nots which looks like where we could be heading...

That was the reasoning behind the French Revolution?, which as I recall did`nt go too well.? Making Napoleon a De Facto dictator ultimately. There are many examples of "One party" states in history. Several in the current era. None which particularly benefit the "common man". It was said that Jesus, had communist leanings. The "church" was not exactly a model of moral rectitude either.

"Man" is far to competitive (and greedy), and largely too tribal to be persuaded to follow a truly Moral path. As a result, 99% of "US" tend to look after family first and work out from there.

Pete

2 minutes ago, PeteH said:

That was the reasoning behind the French Revolution?, which as I recall did`nt go too well.? Making Napoleon a De Facto dictator ultimately. There are many examples of "One party" states in history. Several in the current era. None which particularly benefit the "common man". It was said that Jesus, had communist leanings. The "church" was not exactly a model of moral rectitude either.

"Man" is far to competitive (and greedy), and largely too tribal to be persuaded to follow a truly Moral path. As a result, 99% of "US" tend to look after family first and work out from there.

Pete

I think we're in for a bad time then☹️

Hi guys, just wanted to let you know that we had a short 100 m run today (dashboard still disconnected), and everything works fine! Only found that the reverse light cable is broken, and it’s on the list to do tomorrow. 

thank you all for your support and Mathew for the gears and Pete for the mainshaft! 

cannot wait to go for a proper run tomorrow 

many thanks

Joanna